World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

A mate and I are intending to spend a week in Scotland in July, sea fishing from a small boat/fly fishing in lochs and camping. [We both have Scotland in the blood - he's from Perth, my mum's from Edinburgh and love being north of the border.] We've done this in previous years in South Uist, Ullapool and Orkney and are considering Mull, for example at Craignure which has a campsite and adjacent small boat launching facilities. :g: As Craignure is just across the water from LA which has a scorching reputation I figured that Craignure might be a good bet. :yeah:

We're tempted by the thought of a wide range of fish both boat- and shore-caught - cod, mackies, pollack, rays, even conger and dogfish. A skate in a small boat should be interesting!! :blink:

I've seen some posts reckoning that Mull is not so hot (!) which is not what I was expecting. My hopes were a bit dashed.

Can anyone throw some light on whether Craignure is a good bet for our needs, with decent fishing, or suggest an alternative location?

Many thanks,

Scrottocks

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
Hi all,

A mate and I are intending to spend a week in Scotland in July, sea fishing from a small boat/fly fishing in lochs and camping. [We both have Scotland in the blood - he's from Perth, my mum's from Edinburgh and love being north of the border.] We've done this in previous years in South Uist, Ullapool and Orkney and are considering Mull, for example at Craignure which has a campsite and adjacent small boat launching facilities. :g: As Craignure is just across the water from LA which has a scorching reputation I figured that Craignure might be a good bet. :yeah:

We're tempted by the thought of a wide range of fish both boat- and shore-caught - cod, mackies, pollack, rays, even conger and dogfish. A skate in a small boat should be interesting!! :blink:

I've seen some posts reckoning that Mull is not so hot (!) which is not what I was expecting. My hopes were a bit dashed.

Can anyone throw some light on whether Craignure is a good bet for our needs, with decent fishing, or suggest an alternative location?

Many thanks,

Scrottocks
try and pm davy holt or nick in the north mate they operate from La so they should have some info on mull have a good time lads and dont forget to post on the forum

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

A mate and I are intending to spend a week in Scotland in July, sea fishing from a small boat/fly fishing in lochs and camping. [We both have Scotland in the blood - he's from Perth, my mum's from Edinburgh and love being north of the border.] We've done this in previous years in South Uist, Ullapool and Orkney and are considering Mull, for example at Craignure which has a campsite and adjacent small boat launching facilities. As Craignure is just across the water from LA which has a scorching reputation I figured that Craignure might be a good bet.
From the shore it’s not too good, but with the boat you are close to some very good fishing areas.

We're tempted by the thought of a wide range of fish both boat- and shore-caught - cod, mackies, pollack, rays, even conger and dogfish. A skate in a small boat should be interesting!!
Don’t hold your hopes for a Cod.. they are as rare as hen’s teeth up there, in fact you are more likely to catch a Common than a cod .

It depends what you class as hot, there are plenty of good marks around the island.

It’s probably as good as anywhere on the island though I’m not too sure about what launching facilities are there. There is the ferry slip at Fishnish, that can be used providing you ask permission first and keep well out of the way of the ferry.

Sorry for the brief reply but I’m at work at the moment and rather run off my feet today

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Davy.

Craignure campsite looks pretty good and gets excellent reviews. I'll investigate further about boat launching, etc. etc.

I've just PM'd you so we can be in contact when it's convenient for you. If you send me your tel no. I'd make a call at my cost.

Thanks again,

Scrottocks

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thornback. Thank you for your post. Have PM'd Davy and Nick. If it all does work out and the oberbarnsturmfuhrer gives me a weeks passout and travel permission then yes, I'll post the results here. :fishing1:

·
Registered
195 Posts
hi folks. got a week off at the end of august and i was looking for some help on info about the isles of mull and skye etc. where would be the best for bait fishing for rays, dogfish and whatever would take the bait! Any info on marks and tactics would be much appreciated. cheers steph

·
Registered
747 Posts
anyone? its looking like skye after we saw the ferry prices to mull! either or but we,ve not got a scooby about any!
Stephen, Neist point on skye seems to get universal plaudits, type that into the search box or "skye" will throw up all that you need to know. Hope to be up there in a few weeks myself. Hey, I think i found your half q :yeah:

Cider.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I spent a week on Mull last August. When we got to the cottage, as soon as we were unpacked, the first thing I did was to get the rod out and two casts later I had a seriously big fat mackerel for our tea. Unfortunately, apart from two extremely small pollack later in the week, that was also the last thing I caught, despite spinning and float fishing off the nearby rocks for an hour or two most days.

To be fair, I should point out that I didn't go much further than a few hundred yards from the cottage and that the rest of the Mull coastline might actually be teeming with fish, but I suspect that if you just pitched up without a few decent tips from the locals you might be struggling to find them. It is an absolutely spectacular place though, so even if you blanked all week, it wouldn't be a wasted trip!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Stephen, Neist point on skye seems to get universal plaudits, type that into the search box or "skye" will throw up all that you need to know. Hope to be up there in a few weeks myself. Hey, I think i found your half q :yeah:

Cider.
cheers ciderman hope u enjoyed it! i had a look on the forum but its mostly spinning and float fishing. is this because its an hours yomp to the marks:giveup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Fished there last summer for a day on the lochs for Trout. There is some really good fresh stuff to be had with fly or spinners..

As for the sea fishing, the rocks at Griben are pretty good and give access to some deep water. Look for large mackies and Pollock.

Going to take a trip over next week as my wife's family are from Tobermory. Maybe take a b/caster and a spinner and see what happens.

Just wanted to say for the record that Mull is one of the best places to visit, irrespective of fishing. If you like golf, then the 9 hole course has some of the best views...ever!

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Myself and a few friends are heading up to Mull next weekend for some shore fishing. We were thinking of Calgary - possibly off the old pier there ..heard that wrasse and bass can be caught from there

we are staying in Dervaig and don;t want to venure too far

Anyone fished that mark before ? Or can anyone recommend somewhere good around that area.

I've heard Caliach Point is meant to be pretty good but not sure how to get there,,, looks like quite a hike on the map I've got.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya and welcome to the forum :)

Myself and a few friends are heading up to Mull next weekend for some shore fishing. We were thinking of Calgary - possibly off the old pier there ..heard that wrasse and bass can be caught from there
You can pick up the occasional Bass anywhere around the west coast of Mull, but it is an occasional fish. wrasse, Pollack, Coalfish, mackerel & small Ling can be caught from any of the rocky parts of the shoreline. with the sandy areas producing some smallish flatties.

I've heard Caliach Point is meant to be pretty good but not sure how to get there,,, looks like quite a hike on the map I've got.
It is that, but can be worthwhile to fish, just dont go there alone :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info Davy.

We'll try the Calgary rocks and pier first and if no joy then we will try to hike out to Caliach Point.
Going to try and read up on some fishing tips ono the site now. been a long time since I fished and looking forward to a few days fishing and a wee break away with the boys and leave the family at home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HAs anyone tried fishing from around Croig Pier or the rocks at Port Na Ba beach or Lngamull beach ? Been to those beaches a couple of times with the kids and always see the seals on the rocks. Looks good for pollack and flatties.

We've onyl got 1 day fishing up there this weekend so want to make sure we hit a good spot right away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts