World Sea Fishing Forums banner

681 - 700 of 727 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #681
Butt ring is 20mm next 15mm with the 8 others going down in size so more multiplier suited Barry but makes little difference to me as I'm not using it as a casting tool.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #683
Hi Dan, we had zero cases on the island just a few weeks ago same for FV.
Then they opened up tourism and now we've over a 100 cases.
The canaries is getting crippled as far as the economy is concerned tourism being its main income.
Lots of business's gone its so sad but nothing that isn't happening all over the world.
Fishing here is the worse I've seen in my 7 years of living here on the brightside its still an amazing place to live.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
Looks like my optimism is starting to pay off, fishing here is improving at last.
Alan's friend fishing just offshore on the east coast has been picking up some very tasty dolphinfish
Screenshot_20200904-153622_WhatsApp.jpg

Elliot shore fishing also on the east side of the island has been getting Bonito and Barracuda on metal jigs.
Screenshot_20200904-152523_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20200904-152456_WhatsApp.jpg

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #685
While on my side of the island we haven't been doing too badly either.
Willi has a nice dentex of 9.2lb on live bait.
Screenshot_20200904-154009_WhatsApp.jpg

Some bonito for me again to live bait.
Screenshot_20200904-153501_Video Player.jpg

Today Elliot joins me at one of me favorite marks.
I'm on catching live bait duties while Elliott is slinging out jigs.
It doesn't take him long before he hooks into something just off bottom it puts up a spirited fight for for several minutes before he lands it on a wave and i go down to tail it.
Screenshot_20200904-125552_Video Player.jpg
I'm on lures and live but all I have to show for my efforts is one take on the bait very close to the shore which bites cleanly through my 50lb leader.
its getting on for midday I'm thinking of packing up and looking forward to my bacon sarnie when the balloon bobs a few times before being pulled under and ripped off. Lines being ripped off the spool at a fair rate of knots, I think this is one fast fish.
It's heavy, fast and I'm having trouble stopping it to get some line back on the spool.
It stays down deep for a long time but eventually I start to get the upper hand and we finally see it, one very nice Bonito.
Several more minutes playing it close in when it suddenly goes belly up and I land it on a wave.
13.6lb
Screenshot_20200904-125732_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200904-125804_Video Player.jpg

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
While on my side of the island we haven't been doing too badly either.
Willi has a nice dentex of 9.2lb on live bait.
View attachment 1298607
Some bonito for me again to live bait.
View attachment 1298611
Today Elliot joins me at one of me favorite marks.
I'm on catching live bait duties while Elliott is slinging out jigs.
It doesn't take him long before he hooks into something just off bottom it puts up a spirited fight for for several minutes before he lands it on a wave and i go down to tail it.
View attachment 1298613 I'm on lures and live but all I have to show for my efforts is one take on the bait very close to the shore which bites cleanly through my 50lb leader.
its getting on for midday I'm thinking of packing up and looking forward to my bacon sarnie when the balloon bobs a few times before being pulled under and ripped off. Lines being ripped off the spool at a fair rate of knots, I think this is one fast fish.
It's heavy, fast and I'm having trouble stopping it to get some line back on the spool.
It stays down deep for a long time but eventually I start to get the upper hand and we finally see it, one very nice Bonito.
Several more minutes playing it close in when it suddenly goes belly up and I land it on a wave.
13.6lb
View attachment 1298621 View attachment 1298623
Well done, Pete! Save some for me in November...PH

·
Registered
2,229 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
Been there done that with lures its soooo old hat! I've seen the light live bait rules :p

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #691
Yes Al, I've only bought 4 lures in the last 17 months since I started using live bait.
Don't get me wrong I still love thrashing the water while the live bait rod is in the pod, getting that first contact with a decent predator as it hits the lure is hard to beat.
But live bait is way more productive especially so when there's few fish about.
It has also accounted for bigger than average specimen for me over the months.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice one Pete will be out this week and am sure I will see you on the rocks,with the hotels being closed is it very busy in the usual fishing spots.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #694
Hi Bill, be great to catch up mate.
Very quiet on the rocks the exception being ABH area which apparently is very busy.
Not been to the area myself this year though so I'm only repeating what I've heard.
Most week days the south and west coast marks have been deserted.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #695
Another good day for me this morning with a bonito (returned) taken on a dexter wedge great to get a fish on a lure its been a while it was around 7....8lb.
Then late morning the balloon supporting my live bait just 10...15yds out starts moving out to sea at a rate no boga could achieve I'm thinking its another bon and yes 15....20 minutes later its gaffed for me by a local lad who's been on lures 50 yds to my right if your reading this thanks mate.
Screenshot_20200907-123731_Gallery.jpg
20200907_103926.jpg

Its a little bigger than the previous fish at around 9lb

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #697
Hey Gary, look who you've stirred into action.
He's being very polite though :happy::happy:
Prolly fears being banned again.:wink:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #700
It's been a bit quiet this last week all over the island, lots of anglers fishing the abandoned hotel area every day condition permitting with 25 peeps counted on one rock a few days ago.
Looks like Mahi madness season is is upon us.
Today I fished with Elliott at one of our deeper marks it was his last session before he heads home tomorrow.
We both put live baits out, its not long before we see some interest on mine but a short run doesn't produce anything.
This happens another two times with the same results, I'm thing garfish which have been late to show this year usually we see them in July.
Elliot has the same issue with a good take but no hook up.
I'd had some palmetto, bream and Elliott has a puffer fish on our boga rigs.
Then late is the session I get another run which confirms my guess that we have garfish around.
Screenshot_20200915-123418_Video Player.jpg

Good to see them here, usually they'll be followed by bigger one's also some other predator's.
20200915_093251.jpg

Lunch!

681 - 700 of 727 Posts