World Sea Fishing Forums banner

701 - 720 of 727 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #703 (Edited)
Another nice morning on the rock today with a calm sea and offshore wind.
I start off at 6.30 on lures its still dark but first light is approaching fingers stay crossed hoping for a barracuda.
The best part of an hour goes by, I've not had a touch.
So out goes the boga rig to catch a few for live bait.
Ten minutes later there's a few in the bucket, I start setting up the live bait rod as I'm doing so I notice I've another boga twitching the other rod then a few seconds later it slams over so hard I think its going to break.
10 to 15 minutes later I see the fish a very nice couches bream which I land with the help of a wave.
20200916_090208.jpg

This has happened to me several times since I've been using live bait with barracuda and bass and its a good reason to have a light set drag when the rods in the pod and your not holding it. I'm sure the rod n reel would be in Davy Jones otherwise.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
Bonito for Willi yesterday morning, well done mate.
Screenshot_20200924-132336_WhatsApp.jpg

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #709
Tuesday we fished the south facing coast as a quick recce early doors of the west marks had me thinking it was way too risky as it was over high water.
The air rescue chopper flew over us a while later heading in that direction it always sends a shiver down my spine when I see it.
Today I heard that sadly a local angler lost his life when he was swept in.
R.I.P

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
Yesterday Jeroen and myself fished the west coast, I set about sorting us some live bait while Jeroen chucks out a Savage gear lemon back eel fitted with a stinger.
Halfway in he shouts I'm in a few minutes later we've a decent size cuda landed on his first cast of our session this one is destined for my frying pan thanks J and well done.

It doesn't take me long to sort some live bait and I put one out.
A short while later a large gar takes a fancy to it, after a spirited fight its returne to fight another day.

Jeroens turn next with a cracking Bonito on live bait it put up the usual crazy fight till its landed on a wave and I go down the rocks to tail it, a quick pic and Jeroen returns it.

I have another take but the line is bit clean through probably a bluefish.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
Today I'm at the same mark on my own.
I try lures for the first half hour hoping for a repeat of Jeroen's luck of yesterday but it doesn't happen.
I switch to live bait and get rewarded with two gars one big the other what I would consider too small to eat a large fat boga but it did.
Next I have a very nice bream on free lined cut bait.
Followed an hour later by a Bonito which took the live boga in excess of 150yds out.
It took 23 minutes to get thing fish landed it put up an amazing fight.
This one was returned also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was lucky to send some time on Lanzarote again last august.

I have been speaking with Pete for over a year now and did not managed to catch him on my stay on the island before a couple of weeks ago.

This time, we stayed with my wife on the Island for 3 weeks. I was lucky enough to fish at least once a day.

First week I started in PDC. Fishing mainly at night ,I hooked my first Barracuda around 22.00hrs.
30 min before hight tide. Nice size at 90 cm and 2kgs on my favorite lure.

Fishing on the rocks at night can be a bit scary as holes are hidden within the rocks. You might have to hold on still on a rock for a few hours when its pitch black. I tried a number of other times without luck.
I also went there on the full moon, hoping the barracudas would show up. Funny enough there was no other fisherman around. I hooked my first one around 23.00 an hour before high tide, the fish got off. This happened to me 6 times in 3 hours before I could actually land a fish. Barracudas where all over the place!

Other good experience was when I went there at 04.30am in order to fish the Bon at sunrise.
At first light i hit my first bonito of the trip on a jig. An exciting fight to say the least. In its fury the fish went straight for the rocks and got stucked there with the lure in its mouth. An experienced local helped me to get it out. 2kg for 60cms, wich mad a nice BBQ.

For the rest of the trip we stayed in Playa Blanca. Access to safe deep waters is not as easy as PDC.
Thats when I met with Pete. I was lucky enough to go fishing with him for 4 sessions.
The first one was the most productive. I hooked a Bonito at first light on a jig , 2kgs! Cute size compared to what Pete caught later this morning. A gigantic 5kg Bonito hooked on live bait, needless to say that the fight took a while!

The other 3 sessions didn t produce so much fish for me. I had a few takes on my live bait but no hook ups. Pete caught a Big needlefish on live bait and had many other takes. I must say I learned a whole lot fishing with Pete. It was really inspiring. I will surely use some of his tricks for my next fishing session In Gran Canaria at the end of the month!

I also went fishing at night for sea-bass, caught bream, sargo and my friend a small sea bass, fun experience though to fish in shallower waters!

Main reason for my trip was to come and fish for Dorado aka Mahi Mahi. I tried from the Sin-permiso boats with trolling gear. Unfortunately the law forbidds you to go futher than 2 miles from shore so the fishing is not super exciting and only bonitos can be caught. We tried earIy in the morning but came back Blank twice with no sight of fish.

Other special spot is Los charcones for Dorado Fishing. I went there with Costa fishing service as I usually do. Danny is a good guy and I have been on many trips with him. However this stzle of fishing can be tricky as a lot of locals are there too. Usually only a handful of fishermen cast while 5, 10, 15 others chat and wait for the Mahi to make an apparition. I was casting and saw a bank of big bulls about 20kg following my lure. They didn t bite but took my neighbors lure. As all the other fishermen came close to cast I got tangled in a fish with another local. Panic but a lot of good thrills, nothing can replace this experience. I didnt manage to get one and no other local neither. I went back there on another day but didnt see the Dorados that day...

Lanzarote is great Island that can also be very difficult for fishing too.
Sometimes I went there for weeks without catching anything!

Tight Lines and see you soon in Lanzarote

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was lucky to send some time on Lanzarote again last august.

I have been speaking with Pete for over a year now and did not managed to catch him on my stay on the island before a couple of weeks ago.

This time, we stayed with my wife on the Island for 3 weeks. I was lucky enough to fish at least once a day.

First week I started in PDC. Fishing mainly at night ,I hooked my first Barracuda around 22.00hrs.
30 min before hight tide. Nice size at 90 cm and 2kgs on my favorite lure.

View attachment 1352929

Fishing on the rocks at night can be a bit scary as holes are hidden within the rocks. You might have to hold on still on a rock for a few hours when its pitch black. I tried a number of other times without luck.
I also went there on the full moon, hoping the barracudas would show up. Funny enough there was no other fisherman around. I hooked my first one around 23.00 an hour before high tide, the fish got off. This happened to me 6 times in 3 hours before I could actually land a fish. Barracudas where all over the place!

Other good experience was when I went there at 04.30am in order to fish the Bon at sunrise.
At first light i hit my first bonito of the trip on a jig. An exciting fight to say the least. In its fury the fish went straight for the rocks and got stucked there with the lure in its mouth. An experienced local helped me to get it out. 2kg for 60cms, wich mad a nice BBQ.

View attachment 1352930

For the rest of the trip we stayed in Playa Blanca. Access to safe deep waters is not as easy as PDC.
Thats when I met with Pete. I was lucky enough to go fishing with him for 4 sessions.
The first one was the most productive. I hooked a Bonito at first light on a jig , 2kgs! Cute size compared to what Pete caught later this morning. A gigantic 5kg Bonito hooked on live bait, needless to say that the fight took a while!

View attachment 1352931

The other 3 sessions didn t produce so much fish for me. I had a few takes on my live bait but no hook ups. Pete caught a Big needlefish on live bait and had many other takes. I must say I learned a whole lot fishing with Pete. It was really inspiring. I will surely use some of his tricks for my next fishing session In Gran Canaria at the end of the month!

I also went fishing at night for sea-bass, caught bream, sargo and my friend a small sea bass, fun experience though to fish in shallower waters!

Main reason for my trip was to come and fish for Dorado aka Mahi Mahi. I tried from the Sin-permiso boats with trolling gear. Unfortunately the law forbidds you to go futher than 2 miles from shore so the fishing is not super exciting and only bonitos can be caught. We tried earIy in the morning but came back Blank twice with no sight of fish.

Other special spot is Los charcones for Dorado Fishing. I went there with Costa fishing service as I usually do. Danny is a good guy and I have been on many trips with him. However this stzle of fishing can be tricky as a lot of locals are there too. Usually only a handful of fishermen cast while 5, 10, 15 others chat and wait for the Mahi to make an apparition. I was casting and saw a bank of big bulls about 20kg following my lure. They didn t bite but took my neighbors lure. As all the other fishermen came close to cast I got tangled in a fish with another local. Panic but a lot of good thrills, nothing can replace this experience. I didnt manage to get one and no other local neither. I went back there on another day but didnt see the Dorados that day...

Lanzarote is great Island that can also be very difficult for fishing too.
Sometimes I went there for weeks without catching anything!

Tight Lines and see you soon in Lanzarote

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #718
Wow great report Elliot thanks for taking the time to put it up.
It was nice fishing with you hope to see you again soon.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #719
I've not been out fishing much this last week or so being tied up with other hobbies.
I did a session with Jeroen last Thursday but we blanked despite us both having runs on our live baits which managed to come off.
Today I had better luck a small bonito 5...6lb on live bait and a saddled bream which took a 20g dexter wedge bounced along the bottom close in.

Screenshot_20201012-123432_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20201012-123518_Video Player.jpg

Bonito doing its best to get away

·
Registered
526 Posts
Various bits of kit, as recommended by Pete, arriving from AliExpress between now and our week long trip in January, which I am looking forward to now, more than ever!

Flights from £18 make it very tempting to pop over!

701 - 720 of 727 Posts