World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rite guys ive got a problem and its doing my head in at the min im usin suffix tritanium or f1 or other lines like diawa tournament all the lines are in 15lb breaking strain but the prob im having is fishing over shingle and the line is just breaking when im reeling in i no the line aint rotten i need a line that is very abrasive but very supple anyone got ant ideas please
tight lines
lee :)

·
Registered
24,620 Posts
Lee ,
Can you increase the shock leader length to three times what it is? I suspect you are not fishing the utter limits away from the beach so what you lose in distance (if any ) will not show up

Do you have a sharp scraping edge on one of the upper eyes ..check very carefully as a grove can develop in a ring eye and literally shave your line without you knowing it ( often happens if you have used braid on the rod for a while and the rings are not made for the braid )
" Daveonawave " had this problem and his first forty feet or so of line that was hard rubbed by the runner eye upon casting was continually shaving the line as it was cast ( under high initial load ) and then getting a repeat shave as it was pulled back in on the last forty feet ( as the angle and load set the line ) or so , it would snap usually when he started retrieve and pulled against his gripper wires. We also discovered a crack /chip missing in the part of a runner eye that takes the strain on retrieve third down from the top (if I recall correctly when using a multiplier ??) Changes sides with a fixed spool as the rod is runners downwards to the floor?
The chip could be from a strong cast style and the leader knot literally hammering the ring eye enough to chip it out giving the razor shaving edge that shaves/thins line under certain conditions.

Lets know if this has been of use

Regards David

Sadly soft and supple line do not get in the same box as abrasive resistant one is a trade off of the other the softer the easier it wears the more it resist abrasion the harder the line ( Thanks for that one Sally sludge Bucket )

Have a try at some thing like Slycast blue coloured line it's a mid range between the two if lengthening your shock leader does not work.

David

·
Banned
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi m8 and thanks for the reply i have cheaked all the eyes very carefully and they are all in good condition no cracks etc as for slycast i have used it before and no its tough as old boots as i used it when i lived in bristol but i find that line is like wire and it springs off the reels and causes bnests the line i was thinking about was something on the lines of berkely tri lene as that is supply and abrasive to an extent but i was wondering what other ppl use on shingle beaches thanks david

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Hi Lee,

I use daiwa tourny line and have no trouble with that but im not putting it out as far as you. I tried Red Ice and that was garbage, had the same trouble as you, where it would just snap for no reason.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i use diawa tournament m8 its a good line but i want something thinner than 0.35 dia m8 as something stronger but im having trouble trying to find some decent line that will do job over the shingle m8 as im losing kit like there is no 2moz m8

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have been using Mustad Ayaka Centurion (orange) 15lb all this winter, off shingle beaches at times in heavy weed, and found it superb. Very strong ( its a job to break if you get snagged ) and very abrasive resistant. Also it comes off the spool a treat, doesn't 'fluff up' at all. Personnally can't fault it.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Heres a tip which may work. Up the strength of your shockleader to 80ld and make the leader longer, say 25-30ft in length. I do this on the pier when you may need to handline decent fish up the walls which can be 20ft above the waterline at low water.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i use cheap suffix, sea strike and some unmarked s**t. i buy it in kilo spools and re fill my reel after every trip. i often fish 100 - 120 yards and don't have a problem. the only time i have trouble is if there's a big surf and the shingle keep getting thrown over the line, then i use 25lb straight through.

·
Registered
82 Posts
hi mate, I have used F1 for as long as I can remember and havent had any trouble (at least with the titanium colour) but I have recently tried ultima tournament gold and found it to be fantastic! (its orange, hope you dont mind!) Maybe someone else on here might have tried it. Ive tried other lines, daiwa tornament, which is very good, only the yellow stuff is worth using though. Suffix supreme ive always found good aswell

·
Registered
584 Posts
I can only talk from a boat anglers point of view. 'Ghost line' has an awesome abrasion resistance, tested a few years back by 'Dave B' now of BFM. He found it to be 10!!! times better in a rub test rig using sand paper. I have used it ever since.

However, in 2005, I was recommended 'Shamano Technium', seems to have very good abrasion resistance with a knot strength that matches the stated breaking strain. Tried various lines on my un scientific 'door knob/spring balance test', all brock 'at the knot' 2/3lbs early, accept Technium, which held on untill the line parted. Now use 12 or 15lb Technium most of the time.

Pays your money . . . . ????

ET's OPO

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
No idea what your shingle beach is like but we have one in Scotland - Inverbervie - that is infamous for breaking lines. Large shingle (small boulders), often rough weather and then generates a strong lateral tide.
Any floating weed on the line drags it down and the rolling shingle pinches the line.
Only answer is to use a tough line of about 30lb BS. And keep the rod tip high.
Fortunately long casts rarely needed there.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
as sally says, abrasion resistance and suppleness are mutually exclusive.
Some manufacturers get round it (like Shimano Technium Ace - "carp line") by putting the more abrasion resistnt formulation as a thin "coating" or shell around the softer core. This costs a bit.

Of traditional lines, Stren Original was found to be extremely abrasion resistant (ten, maybe five, years ago in a thorough test by Doug Olander, before Dave Barham did his) and is not too "wiry". But it is (like Berkely Trilene Big game) rather thick for its labelled braking strain.

Diamond Illusion (from Rok-Max of Truro) is abrasion resistant (but maybe a hint "wiry" - perhaps as much as Ghost line). I can send you a sample if you want; send me a P.M.

I think no line made (not counting wire cable) can withstand a pounding from shingle for long. When conditions are like that , if you can't keep the main line above the shingle, you may have to consider changing spool/reel almost every cast ( ! )

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have been using Mustad Ayaka Centurion (orange) 15lb all this winter, off shingle beaches at times in heavy weed, and found it superb. Very strong ( its a job to break if you get snagged ) and very abrasive resistant. Also it comes off the spool a treat, doesn't 'fluff up' at all. Personnally can't fault it.
Another vote for Mustad Ayaka Centurion. Tough, supple, strong, knots well and comes off the reel cleanly. So far the best line I've used (18 & 30lb).

ATB.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no i havant tried that m8 but i will do soon ive tried everything to sort out the problem i no its not the leader knot or the leader the line aint damaged and the rings are fine as well m8 so im lost now but thanks ppl for your help
tight lines
lee

1 - 17 of 17 Posts