World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Hoping to get some info on loughor! looking forward to the winter flounder but can anyone give me some advice?

have only fished loughor once, not a single bite. parked on the side of the road, and walked aroung underneath the bridge. i fished underneath the bridge (flyover) but the rip through was so strong i couldnt hold bottom. ( 6 ounce lead - no wonder there were no fish!!! )

are there any better/productive marks on that stretch of estuary? heard that rag is the best bait to use.

cheers

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi i've also fished under the bridge on many occasions,Yes it can be difficult holding bottom ,but shorten your cast ,I've always found the flatties nearer the sides than deep. not sure if you where the factory side or the boat club side .?
The other mark I have fished there is go over the bridge and you see a pull in on the left . You have to cross the railway line ,so the utmost care and take up a mark on the bank . again take note of the tide height and wind conditions

cheers Jury

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bit early yet for trouble(crab)free fishing. Wait till we get a few hard frosts, they drive the crabs out to deeper water, well most of them anyway. Fishing spots: Both sides of the bridge are productive and that includes above and below. Best if you visit at low water and look for the dining areas. The Flounders are feeding on Mudrag and the Mudrag live in the mudbanks near the shore, not out in the channel, therefore casting should be limited to a few yards even at HW. Every 'muddy' section of the shore and most of the gulleys can be good. I personally prefer fishing out of the back of the car and go to the landscaped area (with carpark) further up from the bridge. Used to be called 'The Tips', gawd knows what it is now. Link to Multimap of the area below. Look for the 'CarPark' sign at Bwlchymynydd. Easy enough to get to. From the Swansea side of the bridge, head back into Gorseinon, a mile or so up the road bear left at the monument and carry on till you see the 'Reverend James' pub on the bend. Turn left at the pub and follow the road (Bwlch Road) down to the foreshore. The parking area is via a gate and one of those one-way-tyre-shredder things. The gate is open about 8am till 6pm in Autumn/winter I think which means you can't get in before 8am or after 6pm (cos of the tyre shredders) but can get out. You can always fish there if you don't mind walking the hundred (flat) yards or so from the entrance. Fishing spots? From the car park above the beach (beach!!!) fish either far left or far right. Far right has more Mudrag around the gulleys and therefore more attractive to the fish. Hope this helps.
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?cli...&multimap.y=110

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Also try the Berthllwyd Banks opposite what used to be the Berthllwyd Pub but is now the "Pearlfisher & Poofter" or something similar, its midway between Gowerton & Penclawdd, there is a small car park opposite the pub (but dont block the road). :angry:
Also go through Penclawdd & park either in the lay-by on the river side or go a little bit further on, & there is a small car park , both are close to the entrance to the main pill running up to the moorings in Penclawdd. This area is usually in the main prize list in the comps, but BE THERE EARLY! ;)
Pick SMALL TIDES that are high water late morning, or early afternoon, so you get off in the light, take some long bamboos with you & mark where you crossed the pills on your way out. ;)
Use mudworm (harbour rag) which you can buy from Country Stores in Gowerton, use something like a size 1 or 1/0 Aberdeen, either on a paternoster or flowing trace, & thread 4/5 worms on each hook, give em a good mouthfull. ;)
Remember if you aint weighing them in, or you aint eating them (they taste like s**t) put them back for the next bloke. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts