World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

ok i need all you help. do any of you guys no any good GPS co-ordinates towards Nab Tower direction, i will be leaving from Portsmouth Harbour.
The fishing marks I am looking for will be in summer so for BASS, POLLOCK well anything really i will just be happy to catch a nice size fish lol. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi Rich,
You won't need any numbers in the summer just follow the charter boats , you can expect to catch:- March:- Plaice and Blonde rays, April:- first of the Tope Bream, Smoothies, Rays and the odd Bass , Mackerel start to show end of May accordingn to climatic conditions and this goes on until July ish, August seems to die a bit. then we get our winter species whiting ect starting to show. for pollack you will need to get some wreck marks, the bass marks are targeted by the professional rod and line boys who use live sand eel and unless you have them or live mackerel joeys don't waste your fuel, There are quite a few small boat clubs in the area I reccomend you join one and they will share their marks and help you tight lines and stay safe Gus

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi gusangus
Thats great cheers i will give that ago.
I have two downriggers i want to give Bass trolling ago have you had any experince in this. :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
no mate, have'nt found the need for them,as the grounds we fish are very rough and in one case drops over 50 ft so we use 12-15lb outfits with fixed spool reels,an american snap link (for the weight 2-3ozs) threaded on the main line a small swivel and then 4ft trace with 4/0 hook and live sandeel and drift with that, thats the same rig as the pro boys use, the fixed spool enable the weight to drop quickly,and follow the bottom, line is normally 15-20lbs mono, 20 lb trace amnesia, it takes a bit of getting used to trying to differentiate between the bottom and fish takes but if you hook the sandeel as I have explained somewhere else they will almost hook themselves. It maight pay you to do a couple of charter boat trips in the area with a good bass boat.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent idea I will give that ago i can obtain live sandeels thats not a problem
I am a bit weary going out to needles as i am told it can get a bit nasty out there.
Is the needles much further away from portmouth Harbour than the Nab is. I know they are different directions but in distance wise as i have a 21 foot which only does 12 knotts

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi mate, the needles end is o.k just a long way to go. It.s the other end of the iow the bit inbetween just off st catherines is not for the faint hearted with some horrendous overfalls athough the fishing can be great, if you don.t know the area steer clear or take someone who knows it well. The nab area generally isvery good fishing, large tides 4.4 and above will almost certainly mean you have to move during the day unless you like fishing with 2lbs of lead at anchor, and the speed of the run means drifting is a bit hit and miss, the smaller tides will mean you can do what you want anchor or drift, drifting for tope is a great way to spend a day the best area for that is utopia or off whitcliffe bay on the isle of wight. I don;t know where you live But if you have a chart of the area and we could get together I can put some areas and what you'l catch on it for you I live in Bridgemary Gosport so it should be manageable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That will be great let me get a copy of a map off my mate and we can arrange to meet up(my shout down the pub then I think) I live in portsmouth but boat is mored at Gosport cruising club. Have you got a email address I can get hold of you on?
with regard fishing at the high tides at Nab tower the down riggers hold up to 11 lb weight on a steel cable and your fishing line clips to the cable when a fish takes the bait it snaps of the cable and you just pull up the fish. Thats the threory anyway he he

1 - 7 of 7 Posts