World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am considering popping down to a new mark and having a go this week, having already done a recce during the low last week. (I used the big tides last week to fish known spots which are better during springs.)

I've not fished much on neap tides since starting back at it again, mostly aimed my efforts at the medium springs and above. But this mark looks like it may benefit from a less frantic tidal run and am on the hunt for estuary flounder that my gut tells me wouldn't mind a bit of easy worm dinner in a relaxed atmosphere. Haha. Having said that, this place drops to a small puddle on a low so perhaps any marine life needs to be forced up on a bigger tide.

Aside from specifics of access to a particular mark, are there any actual fishy advantages to neaps or is it all doom and gloom as I often read?

And does anyone have special neap tactics such as, dunno, encouraging better bait movement or pop-ups or something?

·
Registered
14,814 Posts
Neaps can fish better in a lot of locations mate, I think as they’re not as fast and you’re fishing in the prime zone for longer.

But every location can vary of course. I’d suggest initially fishing the flood from two or three hours after low and checking out what happens.

Try and keep your bait in where you think the fish will be, so a worm bed is a prime target, or any gullies etc

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,649 Posts
If that area drops to a puddle on a low its unlikely to produce on a neap at all but if it has a strong tide pull it may be better fished on a medium incoming tide at most .

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
If it's an estuary I'd be more tempted to target the mullet during a neap as they move out of the gulleys to feed on the mud flats. I find they more likely to take a bait during such times, perhaps because the feeding window is shorter.

Contrary to popular belief fish don't only feed during spring tides. They'd starve to death if they did that. At low water flounder sit tight on the bottom and generally don't move, which is why you can catch them by standing on them. Once the tide starts flooding in thats when they feed so I'd be putting my worm out about then and fish the tide up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's an estuary I'd be more tempted to target the mullet during a neap as they move out of the gulleys to feed on the mud flats. I find they more likely to take a bait during such times, perhaps because the feeding window is shorter.

Contrary to popular belief fish don't only feed during spring tides. They'd starve to death if they did that. At low water flounder sit tight on the bottom and generally don't move, which is why you can catch them by standing on them. Once the tide starts flooding in thats when they feed so I'd be putting my worm out about then and fish the tide up.
Cheers. Reckon this would be a decent mullet spot too.

Some great info everyone.

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts