World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all in this forum, I will be down Falmouth way near Penryn for a few days the beginning of August and wondering about some easily accessible spots for a bit of shore fishing, I have mobility problems so wanting some light fishing for me and a friend who has just had the dreaded news(Big C ) so we are having a few days together for a bit of relaxation, BBQ's and a bit of fishing. Realy only wanting to bring the light beach/ Estuary gear and light spinning stuff. Not sure what's about there at this time of year but some Mackerel, Maybe a Bass,flatties and I would love a Gilthead don't know if you get them there,or whatever's about,not wanting any special spots just general information and where to get some bait. If your around join us for a few beers and a burger. I will be getting there Saturday the first afternoon.
Thanks Bill

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hi all in this forum, I will be down Falmouth way near Penryn for a few days the beginning of August and wondering about some easily accessible spots for a bit of shore fishing, I have mobility problems so wanting some light fishing for me and a friend who has just had the dreaded news(Big C ) so we are having a few days together for a bit of relaxation, BBQ's and a bit of fishing. Realy only wanting to bring the light beach/ Estuary gear and light spinning stuff. Not sure what's about there at this time of year but some Mackerel, Maybe a Bass,flatties and I would love a Gilthead don't know if you get them there,or whatever's about,not wanting any special spots just general information and where to get some bait. If your around join us for a few beers and a burger. I will be getting there Saturday the first afternoon.
Thanks Bill
You could do a lot worse than try to get hold of John Fishlocker,
Some excellent advice on his Youtube channel, and if you're on Farcebook, that could be the best way to send him a message. I think there are details on his Youtube page.

·
Registered
489 Posts
There's lots of easy access spots, prince of Wales pier, custom house pier etc in falmouth. You can actually park on the custom house pier, but they will be busy in the daytime. These piers are in falmouth and have deeper water. I would try fish bait on the bottom for Huss, rays etc. And float fish / spin for Mack's, wrasse, gars etc.

In penryn there is another pier / quay you can park on, with a cafe and toilets. This is up the head of the creek and will be pretty dry except a few hours around high water. I haven't fished it, but this is the kind of terrain I would try for a gilt, with fresh peeler crab if you can get it.

There is another small pier at flushing. Again, I haven't fished it, but there are YouTube videos of it being fished, and it looks to be productive for mixed species, including bream.

Bait can be a bit thin on the ground. There isnt a tackle shop. I normally pick some up on the road on the way down. There is a tackle shop in Bridgewater which is 5 mins from the M5 which has live worm and a good one at a garden centre in Launceston which is 5 mins off the A30. In both cases I would ring ahead and order. when in that area I stay on the Roseland and get bait from the garden centre at Ruan high lanes, but that will be a trip on the king Harry ferry from penryn.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, I don't want to bother anyone by ringing them,the places mentioned should be ok for a bit of fun,my mate isn't a great fisherman he just likes a dabble when we meet up. We are staying at Sykes cottages 2 miles from Penryn so I will have a bash off a few of those spots that we can park on,love a bit of float fishing for whatever comes along, and maybe stick out a bottom rod.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Cornish, I might have a look at some of those areas,a Ray would be nice from the shore, we get plenty of Thornbacks up here in the Humber from the Boat. What species of Ray do you get down there in the Estuary,a Bream of any type would also be great as I've never caught one of any species.

Thank's all.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Cheers Cornish, I might have a look at some of those areas,a Ray would be nice from the shore, we get plenty of Thornbacks up here in the Humber from the Boat. What species of Ray do you get down there in the Estuary,a Bream of any type would also be great as I've never caught one of any species.

Thank's all.
Bill..You can catch Gilthead bream from any of the upper reaches of the Fal estuary. Although I've never fished the Penryn part of the estuary, I'm sure it would work. Fish the flood with worm baits or crab.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think it's all thornbacks. That is certainly the predominant species of ray.
I've had gilthead, couches and black bream. The black bream were very small, but at the head of some of the creeks (i.e. similar terrain to Penryn-but other side of the estuary) were in plague proportions. If you just want to catch a bream, then small hooks with worm is probably best for small ones. Be prepared for instant taps which you need to strike at. In my experience, the bigger ones like peeler.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be bring some fresh Mussels and Razor fish which I buy from Morrisons up here and I'll see if I can get some Rag worm,I'll keep them all fresh ish in a big cool box so hopefully it will bring some bites

·
Registered
489 Posts
4 Days to go, looking forward to it,just to get some bait ordered (Rag) and pick up some mussels and Razorfish from Morrisions.
I am looking forward to some sucsesfull catch reports.

It might also be worth getting some frozen mackerel, bluey or herring when you get your worms. There are lots of small Huss and doggies which are very obliging when all else fails!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts