World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
beefcake said:
hi all
what is the best bait for fishing off samphire hoe?
what is the best rig/trace to use?
beefcake
Beef - it seems from my last trip there that the best bait is Ragworm, although the baliff did tell me that peeler is also working well this year... not for me, I have to say, Rag was fishing better.

I guess the choice of rig is mainly dictated by whether you're float fishing or ledgering.

As far as ledgering goes, I would tend to advise you make the tackle as simple as possible. Stick with a 1 hook paternoster or maybe a pulley rig. Only use a rotten-bottom if you're confident with it, personally, I'd rather swallow a few losses than muck about with one of these.

As for tackle losses, I didn't lose any at all casting 100-120 yards out, but lost 2-3 sets closer in (this was from peg 60), so I guess in that spot at least, a decent cast will take you away from some of the rough stuff, but it might also mean you miss out on some of the bites... :confused:

There's some excellent advice on float fishing from a few days ago if you do a search.

Plenty of bites down the wall too, but mainly Wrasse - fun on light gear though.

HTH,

Cheers,
JB.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi
i only caught 14 fish (lol) and lost 1rig and 2 weights!!!
i caught 7 pouting - 2 11 1/2inch and 7 wrasse (beautiful fish) and from just over the wall (no casting)
the wrasse were amazing!!!, they gave a little bit of a fight and the most heavy was 1lb. there colours were fantastic!!!!
im glad i caught wrasse and i didnt loose much tackle
beefcake

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts