World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No I don't mean that I was knelt down praying for a fish just using size four hooks only. This was a sole session at Dunwich with someone who is learning how it's done. Well my way anyway which isn't how everyone would do it but as I say to everyone who's learning it's all about what works for you. We must all try various ways until we find what we are most confident doing. So the target was sole and I'd spent a couple days preparing rigs so that we had identical set ups and I had dug small lug, rag and maddies for a bit of variety. The thing with digging your own bait is that you can be very selective over what you take to each session and in this instance it was the 3 inch or shorter ragworm and similar sized lug. Casting was going to be close in only, max 40yds, so a change of rods to two of my softest tipped fixed spool rods and 7000 sized reels with 14lb line. Only light leads so 40lb shock leader. We started around 8pm under the cliffs which takes the sun off the sea that bit earlier but nothing showed in daylight except a small flounder. High tide was at 9.30 and it wasn't until the ebb started to run that bites finally came, We then fished it down to 1am. We achieved the target with 9 soles in all, 7 for me and 2 for my pupil (mate). We also had smut pups, eel, bass & whiting. The strange thing was that my mate couldn't get a sole despite watching me catching them so he asked me to bait his rig just to see what happened and lo and behold he caught a sole. There was nothing wrong with his baiting as I had shown him how and checked his baiting regularly. Having still only had one an hour or so later he asked me to bait his rig again and amazingly he caught another sole. I really can't explain that but he was amused and baffled. Anyway he enjoyed the session and wants to go again either Monday or Tuesday so I need to get digging again over the weekend. I also really enjoyed it as after all the ray fishing it was great to fish light gear and really close in whilst completely ignoring the dogfish and rays that might have been there. Focusing on just one species has it's benefits.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Had he recently filled up the car with petrol or put aftershave on? Have heard some scents can put fish off - not sure if there's any truth in it though.
Well done on getting the target species (y)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He caught smuts and whiting and an eel so I don't think it was scent although I know that some to anglers are very fussy over what they handle prior to a match. Some smokers would even stop smoking. I always have a bucket of water and a pile of sand so I know my hands should just smell of bait and he did the same.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Well done, fine session that, John. What sort of size did they go?

Have to get down that way to join you at some point.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Well done, fine session that, John. What sort of size did they go?

Have to get down that way to join you at some point.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Likewise, it'll be a couple of weeks though, as lots going on. It will be getting dark earlier by then also, which is a bonus in my book when Sole fishing. Got to admit, that I actually fancy having a go for another Stingray, more than I do fishing for Sole.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts