World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off to kefalonia on the family holiday soon. I have hired a boat with a 30hp outboard so should be able to cover some water around the island.

Has anyone fished over there or in the greek islands? If so any tips?

I'll be taking some lures/flies and some terminal tackle.
Cheers
Flyguy

·
Registered
571 Posts
kef is a lovey place , went there last year and two years ago
cant help whith the fishing as i never fond the time
enjoy the sun
regards
bowserboy

·
Registered
649 Posts
Where abouts on Kef? I was there in late june, managed few sessions with tele rod and few bits I sneaked into the suitcase. Stayed at Skala and fished Katalios rocks and the harbour at Poros. Caught a few small fish, no idea what some of them were, and some gar type things on lures. Saw some of the boats coming in at Sami, (hire boats), the lads on board were Italian and had a mixed bag including some big groupers. The guy hiring the boats was English, said the Italians used small live baits to get thier catch. My Mrs not too impressed with me talking fishing while on hols, so left it at that, but catch was impressive. I know they paid some local guy for bait, but thats all.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.
ps. tackle shops in Poros and Fiskardo, must be a lot of game fishing looking at the tuff they had for sale.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good tips Andy. I'm staying in Fiscardo and have a boat (30hp) for 10 days. My daughter loves fishing so we will hopefully being doing some dark-dawn sessions with lure and fly. I'm not expecting much given the centuries of over fishing, so any fish is a bonus. But any bonito/dorado/macs/bass would be a real bonus. I hear that choppy conditions are best any many locals don't bother in nice weather :(

I'll post when I get back.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, Just got back.

If you are shore-bound then the fishing is limited to tiny reef species. Whilst snorkelling I saw loads of fish each time but none over 1lb. Various wrasse, bream and mullet species live around the edges. Then the water drops off steeply.

If you can rent a boat like I did then you can cover alot of water. The water varies from 30ft to 600ft! Most of it is DEEP. So you have a choice of deep jigging, trolling or looking out fro bust ups.

I had my Garmin with bluecharts with me but no fishfinder so trolling/jigging is complete pot luck. I had most luck scanning for bust ups then scooting over there, trying not to spook the fish and throwing lures into the area. I had a Bonito and a Chub Mackerel doing this. Blew lots of opps to by getting to close. If I go again then I would take so small heavier lures and jigs that will enable me to stand off the fish but reach them, rather than with 18gm lures.

I also hooked a Swordfish after watching it leap several times chasing sardines. I cast ahead of it where I thought it was heading with a Gunfish 115 and cranked it back like crazy and sure enough I got a hook up. It took quite a lot of line but then as I expected the hook pulled :(

All in all a great trip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts