World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my Explorer 2000 fishing boat down to Padstow this weekend for a week's fishing. Whilst I have a fishfinder on board, anyone got any good marks or any tips. I intend going out beyond the Doom Bar but how far out is best ?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I fished on a charter two weeks ago and the boat landed 30+ legal bass(37.5cm+) from a mark directly opposite the mouth of the estuary, about 500 metres past Rainer Rocks, on a falling tide. The skipper started the drift about 300 metres from the Pentire Point side of the Rocks, and drifted to about the same distance past. We used live 'lance', which we caught feathering on the way out.
Have fun!(unlike one of the lads, who was sick for the whole trip, in a slight swell!)
David

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David

How far down did you catch the Bass ? What kind of weight were you using ? Did you just switch the engine off and drift on the tide ?

Sorry for all the questions but a few Bass quite appeals to me !

·
Registered
291 Posts
We were over 120 feet of water, using 6oz pear leads (almost letting the lance move them around), and we seemed to be catching from the bottom to probably 4/5 turns of the reel off (if you came any shallower, we were plagued by mackerel). The skipper powered the boat up to the start of the drift, then cut the engine (each drift was about 20 minutes long, in the strong ebb).
David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts