World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Andy Colmar and Edgey originally intended hitting Eastney Beach or South Parade Pier, with the idea of a late start, 1pm-ish to fish through till midnight.

Day started reasonably well, got the bait from Solent Tackle at mid-day, then remembered we had forgotten out portable radios, Andy wanted to listen to England being slaughtered by Oz and Edgey wanted to listen to the Masters.

Easter Sunday is not a good idea to poodle round Portsmouth asking the only open shops if they sell cheap portable radios. Result blank. Easter Sunday is not a good idea as a day on which to start fishing at about 1pm at Eastney Beach. It was packed solid. Result Blank. Easter Sunday is not a good idea as a day on which to start fishing at about 1pm at South Parade Pier. It was packed solid and shut to Anglers. The shop on the Pier did sell portable radios, but they had sold out. Won’t talk about the lower deck here. Result Blank. We then tried the Portsmouth Sea Wall. Room but no where to park. Result Blank.

Then we found a small bit of beach with a tiny jetty on it near the entrance to Portsmouth Harbour, with the channel into the Harbour about 90 yards off. Result 2pm we started.

We were then plagued by hordes of numpties throwing stones into the sea, and occasionally at us, asking stupid questions and hanging around immediately behind us and having to be asked to move every time we wanted to cast or worse, swimming off the beach and immediately heading parallel to the beach and into our lines. Why this was the case when there was probably 100 yards of beach to our right, which was pretty full admittedly, I don’t know. Such is life. Eventually, the beach cleared a bit and Andy missed a nice bite.

Edgey then in his usual inimitable fashion, landed a fish, OK, it was a wrasse only about 4” long, but it did enable him to irritate Andy about how many times he had blanked lately. (All right I admit it, I thought it was a Weaver to start with)

Feeling sorry for him I gave him the Wrasse to use as live bait.

He flung it out and about an hour later, it appeared to be very (wait for it) ha-wrassed, ha ha. The rod tip was jigging up and down, but when it was wound in it hung there feebly swishing its tail and looking even more ha-wrassed. (That is enough of that Pun.ED). We concluded that it had been bullied by a Bass and left alone.

The rest of the day and evening turned into a big blank, until last cast at 9.30pm Andy, after a long hard fight, much effort managed to land a complete non-specimen scorpion fish, thereby escaping the blank by the skin of his teeth, as he had the on the day of the great HHAC meet, with his minute flounder off the last cast there.

Small point, as you will all be bored stiff by now, least ways I am getting so writing this, I did at one point say to Andy as we were driving around desperately looking for some-where to fish, “Why don’t we try Gilkicker Point.” I see now if we had we might have had instead a Spotted Ray and Smoothound of a time. What a pity eh!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I dont know why you still persisted in hanging around portsmouth, If i was you i would of thought better of the bank holiday nightmares and just parked up by the Blue Reef aquarium and paid the entry fee which probably would of been cheaper than the bait you paid for, Least that way you could of got your hands on a ray, even had a piccy taken with a smoothie, Never mind, as they say we live and learn, lol

G

·
Nice report Henry! You and Andy are really cleaning up down there! It doesn't seem that there is much about during daylight at the moment. Shame as I'm hoping to get out Thurs/Fri/Sat this week after a massive bout of DIY/Decorating over Easter! Was the Sea Scoprpian any bigger than the monster Ian landed at Hayling?

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Nice report Henry! You and Andy are really cleaning up down there! It doesn't seem that there is much about during daylight at the moment. Shame as I'm hoping to get out Thurs/Fri/Sat this week after a massive bout of DIY/Decorating over Easter! Was the Sea Scoprpian any bigger than the monster Ian landed at Hayling?
Cheeky!!

With regards the scorpion (ha ha saved a blank Henry.....I know how much that still smarts!!), it was MUCH bigger than Ian's... lol...:clap2:

Take care.

Andy. :kissing:

ps. Just got back from a (painful) family bbq (hic!!) and have to be up for work at 4.00am (joy!!).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know why you still persisted in hanging around portsmouth, If i was you i would of thought better of the bank holiday nightmares and just parked up by the Blue Reef aquarium and paid the entry fee which probably would of been cheaper than the bait you paid for, Least that way you could of got your hands on a ray, even had a piccy taken with a smoothie, Never mind, as they say we live and learn, lol

Thanks a lot for the suggestion Buddy, it makes us feel one hell of a lot better. Lol.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I regret to say, despite the gritted teeth as I was unable to take the mickey out of Andy on the way home, that in fact it WAS SMALLER than Ian's fish, by about 1", mind you by the time I had dropped off Andy at his place the damn thing was about 3 ft long. Lol.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Then we found a small bit of beach with a tiny jetty on it near the entrance to Portsmouth Harbour, with the channel into the Harbour about 90 yards off.
That would be known as the Hot Walls to the locals. My mate was down there a few weeks back and had a few nice pollock on the ebb after dark to rag.
Later on in the year it can be very good for bass upto 6-7lb but they come and go on each tide's, you have to put the hours in.
Great report and Pompey is always heavin' on a bank holiday or on any hot sunny weekend. I live there and is a pain in the a*se to get anywhere.
Arron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts