World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be visiting Saundersfoot and Tenby in about a month and was wondering if anyone could give me any info on how it had been fishing over the past few weeks.

I would also like to know some tips for the area as i have not fished Saundersfoot and Tenby for about 2 years. I plan to fish the Harbour at Saundersfoot, the rocks at Saundersfoot (is it monkstone point?). I also plan to fish to the right of the Harbour, that smaller beach with the rocks there. In Tenby I might fish the rocks next to the lifeboat pier and Harbour.

Is Carew castle free fishing and can you fish the estuary free of charge at Laugharne.

What fish are being caught in these area at the moment and what can i expect to catch. Near the rocks, are there and mini species to be had apart from Shanny (any rock cook, topknot, Tompot blenny, goby ot goldsinny).

Thanks, any info would be of help

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
i fish saundersfoot all the time dont bother with the harbour in the summer it is too crowded just fish off the rocks at high tide in the evening use rag and mackeral on the bottom for flounder, bass and gurnard. Theres loads of mackerel around too. Bass arent there in numbers yet guy had 1 the other day when i was fishing with him. Tenby is the same as saundersfoot but dont bother with the harbour just the rocks by tyhe bandstand also try south Beach by penally on a lowtide in the night . I would also do a session at Hobbs pt in pembroke chance of all sauts of species there it is rough ground so use a rotten bottom. also try stackpole and monarbier off the rocks for bass polack,mackeral gurnard wrasse etc. hope this helps pm me before you come down and maybe we can organise atrip to the rock marks around Saundersfoot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh cheers. Good to know there is a chance of Flounder, i was hoping so.
Yeah, i have been to saundersfoot on holiday for a few years and have seen that the harbour can get very crowded.

Is there any point in fishing the beach to the right of the Harbour. I have seen a few people fishing here and was wondering if there is any point.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers all. Just one more thing.

I am tempted to go charter boat fishing of Tenby again. The last time i went charter boat fishing of Tenby we could not go to the spot that the skipper wanted to so we had to go to a poor spot. We only caught mackeral and one chap had a 3lb Tub Gurnard. I was wondering what is usually caught from the boats of Tenby. Do you get any rays and big flatfish and can you get smaller things. I have heard about the sharks.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
the skippers from tenby and saundersfoot arent the best ones around. They take you out to catch some mackeral for bait and then chuch the hook down anywhere they can. from the pictures in the booking office it looks like they catch dogfish, mackeral, tope and bass along with gurnard. every chance off flatties if you take some rag with you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers

How far away is Neyland from Tenby. I suppose you catch the same there aswell then.

Ill have to bear that in mind then, still i would be happy with Bass and Dogfish.

A flattie would be a bonus. As long as i get one from the Harbour or the rocks though i aint to fussed.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
pm me before you come down and ill try and put you on some flatfish, bass, doggies etc. we are getting a few off the rocks at the minute. the fishing from Neyland is 20 times better than then fishing out fro saundersfoot and Tenby have a look at this site http://www.celticwildcat.com

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Do you catch most of the time from these trips to neyland and is there a good chance of catching on the rocks (do you catch regularly)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
i havent blanked in the last 4 weeks or so but you know what fishing is like. The fishing off the harbour is patch this time of year for some reason. Off the rock marks we have been catching gurnard, polack, wrasse, mackeral, flounder, doggies along with the occasional bass. the fishing is awesome from neyland i go out on the boat with my dad a lot if the fishing is to the same standard offshore (where the charter boats go) as inshor then you are probably looking at a good days fishing. Theres plenty of polack mackeral and sandeels on the reefs along with the occasional codling. the banks are producing rays dab plaice (i havent fishedon them yet this year) there should be bass starting too arive soon too. last October on Wildcat we had a lot of bass, few mackeral, launce, polack skipper had a codling and as few red and grey gurnard. he is an awesome skipper and wildcat is an amazing boat she is really stable and is nice and fast too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dont do enough sea fishing to know what a Launce is. Is it a Bream or something.

You say ragworm and mackeral are the best baits. Is that for Saundersfoot or Tenby, or both.

By the way, can Whiting have a big Girth/chest or are they always thin. If so it must of been a pouting i caught last year. I had the one with colour but i took one when it was a bit darker and it ad no colour but i think it ust have been another pout.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
pout are usually a bit fatter than whiting well most of the ones ive caught have been anyway mackeral and ragworm are the best baits around most of pembrokeshire.

·
Registered
438 Posts
give this skipper a ring if you want a day out on a boat he gos out from pembroke dock his name is nigel he will fit you in 07901800803 he loves to fish himselfe so he s not like the other boats ie wilde cat back in dead on time if the fishing is good he will stay longer tell him graham from port talbot told you if any one will like the boat he charges 200 pound for the day up to 8 fishing

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
tench said:
Cheers all. Just one more thing.

I am tempted to go charter boat fishing of Tenby again. The last time i went charter boat fishing of Tenby we could not go to the spot that the skipper wanted to so we had to go to a poor spot. We only caught mackeral and one chap had a 3lb Tub Gurnard. I was wondering what is usually caught from the boats of Tenby. Do you get any rays and big flatfish and can you get smaller things. I have heard about the sharks.

Thanks
they do get some decent tope and and nice sized pollock they also get huss and congers.hope this helps

rh

1 - 19 of 19 Posts