World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>A friend and myself are planning a trip to Scotland. Fishing sea lochs for skate, tope etc. We have heard it is possible to hire small motor boats and fish very deep water close to the shore. Does anyone know a loch where we could do this?</font>

·
Registered
3 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi
Loch Etive and Loch Sunnart both have self drive boats for hire. Both are deep and sheltered.

Loch Etive - dogfish, spurdog 3- 6 lbs, thornback, cod, whiting.

Loch Sunnart - as above but some packs of spurdog are to 15lbs. Common Skate and tope at the mouth of the loch which requires good weather to fish.

deep water means over 100 meters and you can find water that deep within casting distance of the shore.

Hope that helps and please put any skate back.</font>

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
<font color='#000000'>You could also try Lochaline for deep water without a boat, (you&#39;ll find it between Mull and the mainland). It is on the mainland, but taking the Corran ferry is the way to do it to avoid a major drive. You can fish from the Lochaline jetty - cast only 60-80 yards, and be straight into deep water. We fished this at night.
On one trip many years ago a friend caught something big, and took about 45 minutes to bring it up. It turned out that he had hooked a Spurdog, only to have a rather large Conger grab it, and hold on all the way up to surface, as soon as our headlamps locked onto the Conger, a quick roll and a head shake saw it go back to the depths with half a Spurdog. I believe that the British shore Conger record is about 68 lbs - well, the fish we saw that night would have challenged that. We all changed to sturdy wire traces shortly after. What did I catch - nothing but Spurdogs.</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts