World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I find myself here for another month. Any advice will be most helpful. I'm on a sailboat (6-9 knots), cruising the coast of Turkey and the Greek islands.

Thanks,
Roberto

G

·
Hi Roberto

That's terrible luck that you are stuck there for another month!
I don't actually know what's going to be available, but i would suspect that you will have a number of Tuna species and possible the odd shark or spearfish that may take a lure.

For the best all round chance of a take I would run a couple of decent Rapalas about 80 yards behind the boat. Nothing flash, keep it simple and that should find Tuna. For something a bit more exciting, look at some of the surface lures that would be used worldwide for Marlin and Billfish. Don't go too big, keep them to under 12" in the first instance.
Finally, at night, try fishing squid style lures, trolled very deep with a glowstick attached.... you may just weedle out a Broadbill Swordfish.

It can be done by the sailing boats, look closely at the picture....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom,
I just bought a Rapala Magnum and hope to get it into the water tomorrow.
I've been using a diving lure that's larger than the rapala on one rod, and a green squid on the other.

It's really rough, I have to cruise east along the Turkish coast, before heading to Crete.

My best catch while underway so far was an 8" flying fish that volunteered to come aboard.

Roberto

Hi Roberto

That's terrible luck that you are stuck there for another month!
I don't actually know what's going to be available, but i would suspect that you will have a number of Tuna species and possible the odd shark or spearfish that may take a lure.

For the best all round chance of a take I would run a couple of decent Rapalas about 80 yards behind the boat. Nothing flash, keep it simple and that should find Tuna. For something a bit more exciting, look at some of the surface lures that would be used worldwide for Marlin and Billfish. Don't go too big, keep them to under 12" in the first instance.
Finally, at night, try fishing squid style lures, trolled very deep with a glowstick attached.... you may just weedle out a Broadbill Swordfish.

It can be done by the sailing boats, look closely at the picture....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts