World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Was wondering if any of you could help, we are going over to the island for our holiday, at the end of the month, 23rd June - 7th July.

We were wondering if anyone could tell us, what the fishing is like over there at this time of the year?

Where are the best places to fish? What sort of tackle we need? and what baits we need to use?

We are looking at fishing around the Totland area, so would appreciate your comments on that area.

We are also looking at fishing Egypt point, Sandown, Shanklin, and anywhere theres some good fish being caught.

Whats the weed like over there at the moment? Cause on previous occassions we have lost alot of tackle and fish, due to the amount of weed around.

All comments received will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Tracy and Sonic

Tight Lines to all

·
Registered
812 Posts
You can get mackerel, gars and the very occasional bass, ray or flattie off of sandown pier no problem. if the conditions are settled just use a simple float set-up and mackerel or sandeel strips for bait for the macky and gars.

Thats about all I know really! You could also ask at Scotties tackle shops in Newport or Sandown as they are very helpful and will definitely point you in the right direction.

Good luck and enjoy your hols!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi das thanks for the reply can u tell me is it ruffgrand at totland and egypt have only ever fishd close in a egypt with the kids for a fuw small wrass but i am tacking my beach tackel over this time and i wont to do sum proper fishing cheers Raymond

·
Registered
124 Posts
Egypt Point can be very tackle hungry if you cast too far otherwise it's not too bad. I've caught hounds 50-60 yards out and I would suggest you use spider crab if you can get hold of any rather than shore crab for hounds as they are in the area and the hounds are gorging themselves on them.

As for Totland I'll have to leave that for Daz as I've only fished there twice.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
A good little mark at totland is by the white gate just right of the pier. A good chuck of around 40yards puts you on some tackle friendly but roughish smutt grounds. Use crab or bunches of any worm . Also a good bass mark at low water.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the imfo wote rigs would u sugest are we torking pully rigs size 3/0 or up and over and would u us pennel or singel sorry about all the qustions but i have only really ever fish off the piar at soundawn for macks and gars and one moor im staying at nouds point holiday park is ther sumwear that we can dig fresh bait rather than having to pay for it for 2 weeks thank in advanse Raymond

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use a 3/0 pennel pully rig, seem to work for me.

As for bait digging the 2 most popular places are the river medina and St helens (duver).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks nethound im just counting the nights at work naw and triying to toulk my dad into driving dawn the day bifor so we can get a long seshon in on the beach bifer muy missis and kids cum dawn two cach the ferry over may even fish the piar at sathsea eny uther imfo always walcum been to the island a fuw times so now are way arand a bit just need to find plasis to fish naw that i have the beach tackel thanks

Raymond

·
Registered
424 Posts
hi das thanks for the reply can u tell me is it ruffgrand at totland and egypt have only ever fishd close in a egypt with the kids for a fuw small wrass but i am tacking my beach tackel over this time and i wont to do sum proper fishing cheers Raymond
fish at totland up to the left by the lifeboat is fearly clean ground up there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts