World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys , im pretty new to this so excuse me if i sound dumb with some of my questions.... Well what i wanna know is im thinking about starting sea fishing and my closest venue i think would be southsea as i live about 45 mins from there in farnborough hampshire, is it very good to fish? . The next question is i do alot of carp fishing so have got fairly decent roads and reels ,which i have used on chessil beach with feathers for mackrel with alot of success. could i use them for basic beach fishing and if so whats a good setup and bait to get a bend in the rod ?.....One other this is it worth using feathers off southsea beach area, will there be a chance of the odd mackrel?? cheers guys , hope you can help me with a few tips!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
IMHO there are alot more productive beaches to fish than southsea a little further away.

Gilkicker point through to hillhead is where i do most of my beach fishing unless im targetting a specific specie.

If you want mackeral then i would suggest you head off to south parade pier over the high tide, which is one of the more prolific venues for your quarry.

Personnally although the carp rod would be good for spinning and fluff chucking, it would be better left residing next to the puddles you fish.

Most tackle shops deal in the lower end of the market for beginners and tbh a rod and reel which would set you back around 40 quid is the way forward.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply... im gunna head to southsea/portsmouth next week, just to try abit of mackrel fishing with feathers , can anyone give me a good place to go? Ive been told the pier near the boating lake is pretty good??

·
Registered
20,937 Posts
Hello guys , im pretty new to this so excuse me if i sound dumb with some of my questions.... Well what i wanna know is im thinking about starting sea fishing and my closest venue i think would be southsea as i live about 45 mins from there in farnborough hampshire, is it very good to fish? . The next question is i do alot of carp fishing so have got fairly decent roads and reels ,which i have used on chessil beach with feathers for mackrel with alot of success. could i use them for basic beach fishing and if so whats a good setup and bait to get a bend in the rod ?.....One other this is it worth using feathers off southsea beach area, will there be a chance of the odd mackrel?? cheers guys , hope you can help me with a few tips!!!
:bangin:I have carp tackle which I use for bass and mullet fishing, but not beachcasting. Use a float with a sliver of mackeral or sandeel as bait from a pier or a walkway, Sealife Centre Southsea or Haslar Wall Gosport springs to mind, or the benches at Old Portsmouth. A light lead of 1 or 2 oz can be cast with a worm or fish bait and allowed to roll along the bottom, it often works better than a stactic bait.:bye1:

G

·
Carp rods double up as good Bass rods, you wont get the distance casting of a beachcaster and you may find the rods can be a little too sensitive when fishing a strong tide.

I use a Bass rod & a beachcaster fishing from the shore, both are effective and yield equal amounts of fish.

As for bait, where you are fishing can make a big difference...
For me fresh black lugworm or live sandeel are the best baits for most things, but getting black lugging involves are hard slog of a dig at lowtide and sandeel you must keep alive with a bucket & airiator.
Ragworm is very common and quite effective, blow lug is good also, I personally don't rate frozen sandeel much. Mackeral can also be good bait.
I have never used peeler crab, blueys or bread (which people use for mullet).

Your rig will depend on where you are fishing, how deep, tide, weed, type of fish you want to catch etc. Hook size is important too, depending what your target fish are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts