World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys on here like to keep your set-ups the same? I'm in the market for another beachcaster suited to multiplier use. My other is a 13ft rod and mag reel capable of chucking out 4-8oz of lead if required. I'm happy with the combo I have and was originally going to buy the same set-up, but recently have seen a sonik rod that looks good too. Now I've read good and bad about the sonik but I've also read for and against on the kit I have already too and I'm happy with the set-up. I suppose the only thing with the sonik is it's rated at 4-6oz and on some of the north wales coast I fish the 6oz is the upper limit of the sonik but not that I tend to use leads heavier than that I suppose. So is it a case of stick to what you know/happy with or slightly different set-ups to cover different conditions areas maybe?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Stick with what you know if you are happy, nothing worse than using a mixed pair of rods

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Stick with what you know if you are happy, nothing worse than using a mixed pair of rods
Sorry Meanstreak, you normally talk a lot of sense but that second part of your post is balls. I read a lot of rot written about using matching pairs of rods: "easier to spot a bite on one rod" being the main one, along with different casting actions, sitting different in the tide, etc, etc...

I mainly use two of three rods, though in tough conditions / proper rough ground I'll tend to stick to just the one. I have a Century TTLD for general fishing, ditto Primo Synchro which I also use off low piers and more mixed ground, then my M4 Evo for higher piers, rougher seas where I need to use a heavier lead than the TTLD is comfortable with and rougher ground. I don't have a problem with bite detection; yes, the three rods cast quite differently but I know when I'm about to cast the M4 Evo that it is not the Synchro and I know how it will act. The rods are 13', 13' 2" and 13' 5" and to be honest I find the differing lengths to be a positive as there is more of a contrast between the tips than with two rods of the same length when sat in the tripod.

If you want a matching pair then go for it. If however you want a rod to do a different job then go for that too, there is absolutely no reason you can't then pair them up for when you might want to run two rods side by side

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
NOTHING worse?

Hitting thumb with a hammer, standing on a plug with bare feet, dog attack, cramp, root canal treatment, the holocaust - Justin Bieber?

I use mixed rods all of the time it is nice to use a matching pair but its of little benefit in real terms

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Depends on what rods you have, the op never said, I use RG Supercasts, they are used in any venue I fish at rough or clean, when the sea gets very rough I only fish with one, seen loads fishing with 2 different rods of different length and it looks awkwardl, a nice matching pair is better,

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It's all down to personal taste I love old school rock music (AC/DC Black Sabbath and the like) bet most of you hate it.

Rods make of and pairs is the same some don't like Daiwa some love it same with sonik's.
I am in the process of setting up so keep going out looking at different kit also asking on here.

All I will say is if you are happy with what you have (It casts well bite detection and weight) stick with it.

As they say Better The devil You Know.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Use an Ian golds international match as far as u can with 7 and a proper bait, and if I use a 2nd rod it's a vampire closer in with 5 or 6 as the softer tip holds easier in the tide close in.
Using 2 rods can be counter productive imo

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
as much as matching pair look nice on the rest :) tarting. it has its advantages using two, ie a rod fishing some flapper/ running ledger close in and a pennel out on the horizon.
it come down to personal choice
my advise on this would be if your happy with your current set up, why not go for the same, as you could buy something that look nicer etc but with time it might not be fit for purpose. (think about what do you want the rod for)

·
Registered
600 Posts
...the sonik [is] rated at 4-6oz and on some of the north wales coast I fish the 6oz...
That would leave nothing for baits. A single small bait probably no problem, though tackle companies tend to be optimistic with casting weights (not saying the makers of the Sonik are lying, I haven't tried one myself); but a 2 or 3 hook rig might be pushing it, depending on bait size obviously. Id call a rod rated like that a 3&bait up to 5&bait, personally.

Fishing two rods you're likely to put one rig close in and one far out with a different rig on each so IMO no need for them to match. :)

·
Registered
15,300 Posts
Sorry Meanstreak, you normally talk a lot of sense but that second part of your post is balls. I read a lot of rot written about using matching pairs of rods: "easier to spot a bite on one rod" being the main one, along with different casting actions, sitting different in the tide, etc, etc...

I mainly use two of three rods, though in tough conditions / proper rough ground I'll tend to stick to just the one. I have a Century TTLD for general fishing, ditto Primo Synchro which I also use off low piers and more mixed ground, then my M4 Evo for higher piers, rougher seas where I need to use a heavier lead than the TTLD is comfortable with and rougher ground. I don't have a problem with bite detection; yes, the three rods cast quite differently but I know when I'm about to cast the M4 Evo that it is not the Synchro and I know how it will act. The rods are 13', 13' 2" and 13' 5" and to be honest I find the differing lengths to be a positive as there is more of a contrast between the tips than with two rods of the same length when sat in the tripod.

If you want a matching pair then go for it. If however you want a rod to do a different job then go for that too, there is absolutely no reason you can't then pair them up for when you might want to run two rods side by side

Spot on .. I agree entirely, no point in using a WR300 for close in flatty work.

Conversley, there is no point in overgunning a Flatty Fanatic with 7oz sinker plus a huge SquidnLug bait .

Horses for courses I think the term is.

I have two different rods from the same stable,an AFAW Tourney Rock, and an AFAW Tourney Match, the match butt is stiffer than the Rock, so I swap the tips, use the Rock Tip for distance work and the Match tip for everything else,as it has a great tip for bite detection.. they end up roughly the same length, but look different due to being smothered in Insulation tape and shrink tube.

The Standard Tourney Rock gets used out onto the Rough, and I have an 11ft 6ins Flick tip for lighter applications

Dave

·
Banned
17,783 Posts
I used to use matching rods but when one of my (matching) Nemesis SLRs went bang I ended up getting a Primo Synchro and fished 2 different ones after that.

I prefer mixed rods now to be honest -I like the variation. In fact, more often than not I fish 3 rods when with Concrete - a long range rod with a big bait, one at medium range and a big (ish) bait and a tiddler rod close in for anything lurking in the gutter. When I mean big bait, I'm talking a DVice with whole squid and about 10 lug on it :) As long as you cover your ranges well, you'll find the fish.

It also means if you only have 2 different rods and want to fish only one rod, you have a choice of which one to take. All the "matching rods with matching reels" is just for show - it's like taking 2 identical tools to do a job. Makes no sense to me now thinking back.

·
Registered
997 Posts
With the others on this, I have 3 different rods,that gets used the most. lets call them light, medium and heavy. Either the light or heavy get mixed with the medium depending on ground/venue/ tactics used.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
i like to use 2 rods especially on a pleasure session [not a match] if venue and conditions allow for it. i like to keep busy and fishing 2 rods does this for me.

having matching pairs at times is good but usually i,ll have different rods. casting wise the rods will have different rigs on them, different bait combo,s and possibly different leads. i will even use them to target different species. they may even have different reels on them.

so..... the matching cast doesnt come into it for me because even if they were paired they would feel different during the cast.

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
Fishing two rods? I'm limited by the number of rod holders...

·
Registered
21,363 Posts
Someone told me it was cool to have matching rods so that's what I've done...........would it be even cooler if I bought another reel to go on it?

·
Registered
166 Posts
i use a conoflex flattie fanatic close in. and a tfg delta for distance range. caught flatties, coalflsh ect close range . and on the delta at distance codling . depends what mark you fish

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I never use matching rods but I do use two one as far out as possible one close in
I bring the distance rod in a little at a time until I get bites,then they both go out to roughly the same spot.
I love my gear and always buy the best I can but it's about the fishing and the fish

G

·
I fish 2 rods about twice a year otherwise I use just one.I can't see the point of matching rods and reels, it's just tackle tartery.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
do you usually fish for the same species at similar distances with similar baits (mainly the weight of the bait)?

if you do then by a matching setup. however if you want both to feel and react exactly (especially rods) the same you'll have to buy 2 brand new ones and sell your second hand one. the companies often alter the material mix used and the blanks change there character when used for a considerable time.

if you want to say fish a big bait at range and small multi hook rigs close in. or one bait at range and one short range in the surf. then different rods fit for each purpose would be the way to go.

personally i have 4 different actioned rods, and none the same.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts