World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
It is a myth that cod can ne caught from the West Wales coast so I would be happy to swap our house in Bedfordshire for one on the West Wales coast. Everyone knows that the cod fishing in Bedfordshire is brilliant. ;)

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am unsure where in west wales but a little further up in north wales i have had some luck in various marks around anglsey think its just a case of putting in the hours but last year in december i once set off early morning for a day out around wales fishing i stopped at conwy to pump bait early in the morning after getting back to the car i realised i had left my tripod at home so i thought i would take my chances on llandudno pier. The weather for a few days before had been stormy but this day there was no wind at all. I fished all day from the top left hand corner casting long short etc and nothing people come and left with same thing i set up a rod with just shrimp rig tipped each one and worked them down the side and still nothing...... As it turned dark with full moon on clear sky i packed up main rod ready to leave as you have to leave the peir by 6 i think it was 5ish and the tide had started flooding in i put some bits of worm on the shrimp rig and casted it out a bit while packing up rest of gear and got good nod on rod i pulled it in to sea a fat bellied codlin about 2ilb in size decided go again after only being in the water minuets nod on the rod again this time a larger fish i kept that rod out again within minuets rods going again with hard pulls this time 2 fish a good 3ilb a peice in a hour i pulled in probaly 14 fish and droped same amount pulling them up the pier the bigest one was about 5ilb ish but i am sure i droped bigger i had to hand ball many up the side as just couldnt reel them up. This was caught on no fancy bait presentaion or fancy rigs just half worms on shrimp rigs it just shows right place right time . I can honestly say i have fished many hours and never had a experience like this but i will be back there this winter !!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
anybody know where i can find the cod and pollock this winter in the west wales area ? come on dont be shy
I can only speak for north Pembs. Cod are there but in huge numbers or of great size. Last summer I caught plenty from the boat off Strumble Head in the 1-3lb range, but the same spot this year produced nothing. My solitary cod this year was a 5-6lb'er caught off Pwyllderi.
In summary, and in my opinion, there are cod off north Pembs but not in sufficient numbers to target them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts