World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have a small problem, well, 3 actually.

My kids are desperate to come fishing with me, which I am very happy about. The only thing is I really dont know where to take them. they are aged 6, 4 and 3 now I realise they are still a bit young but I was hoping some of you, may have a mark which will put them on fish without being too dangerous. This is a big ask I know.

The breakwater seems to be the obvious choice but thats maybe still a bit dangerous.

How old did you guys start your kids fishing?

Any ideas suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
715 Posts
try the "sandy ends" between banff and macduff for some plaice flounder and possible sea trout or any other beach but just keep them out of the water (impossible)

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Number one has to be lifejackets. You know yourself - you can't always watch all three at once. Expensive start - but - I bet at least 10% of us has, or knows someone who has, a kid sized lifejacket in the loft?

I bought one new for my daughter when she was 4. It fitted til she was 9. It's been on loan at least three times and now gets worn by the daughter of another forum member.

Just post what sizes you require (The are in Kg) and you'll be surprised at the offers?

Next one is where to fish - nothing worse in taking them somewhere that they have little chance of anything? Start with tiny baits and tiny hooks dropping down the side of the harbour wall over high tide? They'll catch fish and be delighted.

Scale the tackle down too - wee mini rod/reel combos can be had from ebay for buttons. Nothing worse than seeing a 5yr old struggling with dad's old 10ft spinning rod - or grandpa's 50lb class boat rod "like we used in the auld days".

Keep them dry, warm and interested. The rest will follow. Some of them get bored easily and return to the car to read / play games / use phones etc - but they'll soon return if they see some fish being landed.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ticketty Boo has given you really good advice i think.
I would pick some pier with railings,it doesn't stop them falling in but you can just set the limits how far they can go.
Would be good if you could park right on pier too.As said before kids get bored quite easy so they can sit in car(have some dvd-s or games ready).

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hi folks,

I have a small problem, well, 3 actually.

My kids are desperate to come fishing with me, which I am very happy about. The only thing is I really dont know where to take them. they are aged 6, 4 and 3 now I realise they are still a bit young but I was hoping some of you, may have a mark which will put them on fish without being too dangerous. This is a big ask I know.

The breakwater seems to be the obvious choice but thats maybe still a bit dangerous.

How old did you guys start your kids fishing?

Any ideas suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
:marinheir be careful now ladz i think this is a trick question to get all your favorite marks , bit of undercover work going on here i think lol :whistling:whistling

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Number one has to be lifejackets. You know yourself - you can't always watch all three at once. Expensive start - but - I bet at least 10% of us has, or knows someone who has, a kid sized lifejacket in the loft?

I bought one new for my daughter when she was 4. It fitted til she was 9. It's been on loan at least three times and now gets worn by the daughter of another forum member.

Just post what sizes you require (The are in Kg) and you'll be surprised at the offers?

Next one is where to fish - nothing worse in taking them somewhere that they have little chance of anything? Start with tiny baits and tiny hooks dropping down the side of the harbour wall over high tide? They'll catch fish and be delighted.

Scale the tackle down too - wee mini rod/reel combos can be had from ebay for buttons. Nothing worse than seeing a 5yr old struggling with dad's old 10ft spinning rod - or grandpa's 50lb class boat rod "like we used in the auld days".

Keep them dry, warm and interested. The rest will follow. Some of them get bored easily and return to the car to read / play games / use phones etc - but they'll soon return if they see some fish being landed.

Best of luck.
Thats great info Tickety I never even thought about life jackets to be honest. How bad a dad am I. Will start looking on ebay now for combos

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ticketty Boo has given you really good advice i think.
I would pick some pier with railings,it doesn't stop them falling in but you can just set the limits how far they can go.
Would be good if you could park right on pier too.As said before kids get bored quite easy so they can sit in car(have some dvd-s or games ready).
you see thats where i would be more inclined to take them to a local sandy beach like i do with the kids mine are 4 and 9. but my answer to the problem of boardom is buckets and spades keeps them amused and likely chance of a beach being deep is very unlikely hope this helps

·
Registered
140 Posts

Best of luck.
Thats almost exactly how I started, minus the lifejacket of course, my parents might have been glad to get rid of me! ;-)

But small rod, I started with a 5 footer and soon graduated onto something bigger.
I wouldnt risk the main pier or breakwater, inside the harbour where its quieter and more sheltered, the only problem with a beach is casting far enough to catch something... and teaching the wee ones how to cast far enough to catch something without having to wade in every 10 minutes to fetch a rod back....

Just make sure theres plenty of fish, doesnt matter what size at that age! and that you have plenty of snacks/drinks etc.

I'm sure we all remember catching crabs with a handline as a kid, it doesnt take much to get them hooked!

Lol are you sure you want to do it???? you'll never get to sneak out the house for a quiet days fishing once they start!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My sons first sea fishing adventure took place at 3 years old on a lovely sunny day catching Pout down the side of a harbour wall. He loved every minute of it. A nice sunny day will help you, cold, wind and rain will put the dampers on it very quickly as they'll feel the cold a lot quicker than Dad.

My son is 12 now and whilst facebook, ipods and football are all consuming he thoroughly enjoyed his fishing adventure with Dad on the Mull of Galloway last week, not quite hooked but not far off :wiggle:

Report to go up shortly....

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
apart from the very good safety points already covered id say a good place would be in portkockie harbour,loads of small species around to keep them entertained

·
Registered
180 Posts
My personal choice is to stick to beaches with my kids . At least i can relax and don't have to worry about anyone falling in ( harbour fishing ) and if they do it's only ankle deep .

Kip

·
Registered
380 Posts
I remember taking my grandson out in the boat when he was 5 ... he loved it then one day I thought maybe he doesnt like the fishing as much as I thought so I suggested just going for a 'cruise ' along the coast line without stopping for fishing... he went nuts, so another fishing trip it was to be.

now he's 10 and 'skippers' the boat taking us to our marks and brings her back into the harbour by himself.

if lifejackets aren't possible I would suggest a length of rope tied securely to the harbour rail as a safety line for each of them long enough to go to the edge but not over it.
and with full supervision which might mean you DONT fish!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Take them on their fishing trip not yours
Try and avoid a long journey
Pick a venue with lots of fish (starfish and crabs count to youngsters)

be prepared to cut the trip short if weather is not suitable often best to surprise them with a trip rather than cancel due to weather.

keep it fun
use floats if possible cuts down on snags and lost gear and is more interesting to watch.

Tie in with trip to MacDonalds or similar it is a fishing trip not a mission.

best of luck

·
Registered
276 Posts
took 3 kids to crail harbour years ago, ages 8,7 and 4 never again,need eyes in the back and side of your head,i was a nervous bloody wreck after half an hour dont do the habour!!!!!!!! as soon as 1 caught something the oyher 2 RAN to the edge to see,still sends shivers up my spine thinking about, and needless to say you wont get a chance to fish

·
Registered
448 Posts
off side of pier for me from early age. for my son from about 3, with life jacket, off boat. suggest handlines first as easier to use than a rod. A good idea I saw another dad use was to take one of those cheap collapsible creels and stick that in as well. his kids were fascinated by what they caught in that. Anything to keep the interest going.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
The bait pond at a local troot fishery. At least you'll know there's the chance of a fish or two being present.
And there's less chance of getting hacked off with dogs all over the shop like you will get on the beach.
And also a half decent trout for the table instead of a postage stamp sized flattie or a micro poddlie......and i reckon it might captivate an allround interest in fishing, in general, longterm.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I never tried fishing with my son because he is autistic , so used to take my daughter ! worming for trout on the don ! i caught one then hooked another and handed her the rod with out letting her know I still remember her shouts ! i think iv'e got one six yrs old and so excited
B*****d thing was twice the size of my 1lber,15 now into boys and not fishing but have never told her the truth.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Kids love fishing for at least five minutes..nothing better than getting the wee yins out but safety has to come first..ticketty's post is wise.

On the beach the kids can wander safely...under a watchful eye of course and my wee boy who has just turned nine is almost hassle free apart from wanting to reel in every five minutes and spotting imaginary bites.lol.

I personally wouldn't fancy trying to take three kids fishing at the same time, leave a couple with the missus and take one at a time and stay away from piers and the likes unless you have them on a leash. :fishing:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts