World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Ride my bike along the front every morn and the past few days there is hardly any weed on the sand from what i can see,be better to fish worthing on a smaller tide thow.Had 4 mullet at grand av pipe with mark s 10days ago.

·
Registered
325 Posts
tried to fish the pier today, too much bloody weed.
only had 5 cast's, weed on surface and on the bottom.
its no good fishing on these big tides.
koi man

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a look yesterday (tues 13th), spoke to a guy with 2 beachcasters out at Goring, he said he was packing up, 'tons of bl**dy weed on every reel-in'

I wonder if it has anything to do with those 2 blasted trawlers, about a mile out, scraping up the sea-bed everyday???

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi, I attempted to fish Carrats cafe (Southwick) last night (2hrs before HW) but had to give up within an hour of starting, the amount of weed made it totally unfishable. Couldn't get my 5oz gripper to hold for long at all, even with the wires bound up with elastic. Huge rafts of heavy weed along with the usual spaghetti. It was in close and at distance. Wouldn't have thought Worthing would be any different.

Hope this helps

P

·
0 Posts
Hi, I attempted to fish Carrats cafe (Southwick) last night (2hrs before HW) but had to give up within an hour of starting, the amount of weed made it totally unfishable. Couldn't get my 5oz gripper to hold for long at all, even with the wires bound up with elastic. Huge rafts of heavy weed along with the usual spaghetti. It was in close and at distance. Wouldn't have thought Worthing would be any different.

Hope this helps

WHO SAID THAT!....lol

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

I wonder if it has anything to do with those 2 blasted trawlers, about a mile out, scraping up the sea-bed everyday???

I have been told (by a very good source) that the two trawlers are being monitored very closely and they certainly should not be in our waters,apparently French trawlers (cant remember if their nationality has been mentioned before?)

P

·
0 Posts

I have been told (by a very good source) that the two trawlers are being monitored very closely and they certainly should not be in our waters,apparently French trawlers (cant remember if their nationality has been mentioned before?)
now what did i do with my gun....lol

·
Registered
11 Posts

Who is monitoring the trawlers? I've never seen anyone checking them over the years. If they are illegal, surely they should just arrest them now?

·
Registered
12,592 Posts

If its the blue ones, one is a SM registered craft (Shoreham) and one is a BM registered craft (Bournmouth?) I have been taking pictures of any inshore activity that I see, but these two are legit due to the ridiculous grandfather rights..... :(

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
i wish someone would put a sticky in this section with regards to the historical data relating to the amount of weed in the area.its a natural phenomena and nothing to do with trawlers.
cheers rab

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
i wish someone would put a sticky in this section with regards to the historical data relating to the amount of weed in the area.its a natural phenomena and nothing to do with trawlers.
cheers rab
Correct - even going back to the 18th century there is literature about the summer weed problems that frequently afflict the coast around Worthing. In fact, while the spaghetti type and claggy green algae type weeds are a pain, I recall as a youngster the amount of kelp that would wash up after a summer blow would be five or six feet deep on the beaches and then proceed to stink the town out as it rotted. Every time the tides got bigger and lifted it off, the water would be full of floating maggots and mullet sipping them down. Hardly happens now...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Mark-S

I remember that well too. The weed was seriously deep and I remember seeing mullet scoffing down maggots just like you described.

Not seen those conditions for a long time.

Buzzer.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Mark-S

I remember that well too. The weed was seriously deep and I remember seeing mullet scoffing down maggots just like you described.

Not seen those conditions for a long time.

Buzzer.
HaHa.... go take a look at the beach on the west side of the west arm tonight!! Not only is the beach waist deep in it, most of the arm is too!!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Just attemped to dig some lug and fish the church. I couldnt even see the sand down in worthing there was that much weed. I finally found a patch worth digging but however there was that much weed the water never got the chance to drain away and pretty much from the bottom of stones to the low water point it was about 10 inches deep like a swamp. Got to the church 1st cast resulted in so much weed i packed up and called it a day. Pretty Dia!!

·
Now in Littlehampton
3,474 Posts
fascinating read....and I suppose that puts the kybosh on blaming the dreaded pair trawlers for the weed problem today.Shame really,it would have been a useful weapon.
Not really Jeff I can understand weed when it gets ripped up by weather like we're now having but how on earth does so much get ripped up during one of the longest spells of absolutely calm weather I can remember for a long time? I still think the trawlers must rip up loads as they are going over soft chalk and pebble reefs where weed is easily dislodged, I'd like to think it all ends up in their nets hindering their fishing attempts but I don't think this happens as they continue doing it.

I just don't believe the "it happens every year so it must be natural" theory when there hasn't been the weather to shift it, the stuff just below LW was still firmly attached when I looked last week so if this is why wouldn't everything else be in deeper calmer water? An act of God/nature or Trawlers???

Will some of the people that say it's natural please explain to me how this weed is dislodged during a period of very calm weather that has lasted weeks, especially interested in the explainations from posters from other regions who seem to know so very much about our coastline. Scientific and sensible answers only please with proper explainations as to how each variety of seaweed becomes dislodged during these conditions.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Not really Jeff I can understand weed when it gets ripped up by weather like we're now having but how on earth does so much get ripped up during one of the longest spells of absolutely calm weather I can remember for a long time? I still think the trawlers must rip up loads as they are going over soft chalk and pebble reefs where weed is easily dislodged, I'd like to think it all ends up in their nets hindering their fishing attempts but I don't think this happens as they continue doing it.

I just don't believe the "it happens every year so it must be natural" theory when there hasn't been the weather to shift it, the stuff just below LW was still firmly attached when I looked last week so if this is why wouldn't everything else be in deeper calmer water? An act of God/nature or Trawlers???

Will some of the people that say it's natural please explain to me how this weed is dislodged during a period of very calm weather that has lasted weeks, especially interested in the explainations from posters from other regions who seem to know so very much about our coastline. Scientific and sensible answers only please with proper explainations as to how each variety of seaweed becomes dislodged during these conditions.
Further to that, maybe someone can explain why large clumps of the 'boot-lace type' weed have been washed in with each and every tide during the last few [very calm] weeks.
There can't be too many reasons why it would be floating by with LARGE STONES STILL ATTACHED to it that you can clearly see about 2-3 feet under the surface!
There is no way this could or would happen naturally during flat calm weather?
[These stones usually anchor the weed to the sea-bed]

1 - 20 of 42 Posts