World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of fitting a normal car radio to my Alaska 500.

Two things with this, firstly will a car radio aerial work OK without a metal roof acting as a ground plane?

Secondly what do I do with the negative earth radio case? Just tag it to the -ve pole of the battery, or does it need a true earth ground?

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
I would buy a marine radio/CD rather than a car one, with waterproof speakers. Very similar prices if you shop around. You can also mount the unit behind a splashproof door which is available from the better on-line chandlers. I have one fitted in my Trophy, it doesn't actually have an external aerial, it has a wire draped around the back of the dash which works fine. All grounding is just connected to the negative bus-bar under the instrument panel.

·
Registered
420 Posts
the aerial will work fine, the same as on fibreglass cars, and as for the radio it will be fine with the positive and negative from the battery but make sure you run an inline fuse, i am in the process of fixing in a waterproof fuse block to my boat and will fix a negative pole nearby for easy installation of electrical items, i would be sure that there would be other ways too of which no doubt other members will post their replies, interested to hear other views.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would buy a marine radio/CD rather than a car one, with waterproof speakers. Very similar prices if you shop around. You can also mount the unit behind a splashproof door which is available from the better on-line chandlers. I have one fitted in my Trophy, it doesn't actually have an external aerial, it has a wire draped around the back of the dash which works fine. All grounding is just connected to the negative bus-bar under the instrument panel.
What! I'll find an old one at the back of my garage as well, great! :marinheir

It's because I can get one basically for free I'm fitting it, otherwise I would go the Marinised route. I might strip it down and give it a bit of waterproof lacquer spray inside though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the aerial will work fine, the same as on fibreglass cars, and as for the radio it will be fine with the positive and negative from the battery but make sure you run an inline fuse, i am in the process of fixing in a waterproof fuse block to my boat and will fix a negative pole nearby for easy installation of electrical items, i would be sure that there would be other ways too of which no doubt other members will post their replies, interested to hear other views.
I'm just wondering whether I'll need an inline suppressor as well.

·
Registered
420 Posts
best thing to do would be to fit the radio and run the engine and see if it makes any difference, although i wouldnt be surprised if it would need to be surpressed but worth a try first. having never fitted a radio to a boat before wouldnt know for a fact, but then at anchor the engine will be off anyway so shouldnt be any interference.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
If its free then it won't matter if it rusts up after a while! It should last a bit anyway unless it gets a spray dousing. I would still fit is behind something like this though. Mine does not have a supressor, only an in-line fuse. I tend to listen only when in the marina (quietly) or at anchor, not when the engine is running anyway.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Does your engine interfere with your VHF radio? If not your car radio will likely be OK too.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Have you got a stainless gantry or rails, that will work fine as an ariel, just connect the centre coax to one of the securing bolts.

Give the unit the good news with Quicksilver Storage seal inside and out and it should last you a fair while. (Not if it is a tape or CD for obvious reasons)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you got a stainless gantry or rails, that will work fine as an ariel, just connect the centre coax to one of the securing bolts.

Give the unit the good news with Quicksilver Storage seal inside and out and it should last you a fair while. (Not if it is a tape or CD for obvious reasons)
I don't think CD's had been invented when this was made, cassettes probably, but not in this one.

Now where can I get a marinised 8 track for my boat?

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
You can get a inline arieal adaptor,so your vhf arieal,also receives radio stations!

·
Registered
179 Posts
IMO unless you use 1 of those radio covers then its pointless putting a car radio in your Alaska 500 as rain and sea spray gets blown into the cabin on mine and i recon it would be rusted in no time. Also if you keep it moored then there will be salt in the air around it constantly.

G

·
Even in the cabin of my QS my last radio only lasted about a year. It is the salt in the air that will get in and damage it, I have just bought a new one from Lidl a couple of weeks ago and will be fitting it on my next trip to the boat.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Fitted mine 2 years ago, radio and speakers working fine. Fitted a "rubber ducky" aerial, with a stainless plate about 6" square ( it was just lying around) to act as the ground plane. It is fitted into an alluminium box which is fitted to the roof of my cuddy giving it some protection from the elements. Shall post some pics later if you want them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Be aware that it's illegal to re-transmit the signal so make sure the radio is off before you transmit on your VHF

G

·
I'm in the throws of buying and fitting a car radio/CD to my boat, not had any problems in the past with corrosion, although always in a cabin and roof mounted.

Raises the question in my mind . . . "listening to the radio at anchore whilst fishing" . . . does it affect the fish, are they frightend off. Had this conversation with a charter skiper friend, he says no, he has fished for years with the radio on quietly.

ET's OPO

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Ask Alan Kirby to put a pic up of his fitting.Very nice the way he has done it....Mine is much along the same line.
Mmm, very 'flexible' in the "where shall we mount it today" stakes.:roll1:

And then he wonders why his batteries go flat - 'cos its laying on the floor, well almost.

Maybe he can use it as one of those 'angels' for when the anchor starts to drag........:whistling:whistling

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
And then he wonders why his batteries go flat - 'cos its laying on the floor, well almost.
Now now steve thats not quite true is it!!!:nonono:

The fact the battery was dumped buy another boat owner might have had somthing to do with it :bleh:

Anyway !!!, did you notice the nice new Bosch one there now :bleh:

Alan

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Ask Alan Kirby to put a pic up of his fitting.Very nice the way he has done it....Mine is much along the same line.
PMSL.. it was just a temp fixing !!! two years ago!!
Got a rubber car ariel slung behind it on the shelf.
It works a treat :icecream:

Alan

1 - 20 of 37 Posts