World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
just got a new combined sonar/gps i want to fit the tranducer in the hull without sticking down with resin any one got any advice.. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heard something about using oil?whats that all about? :confused:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If I remeber rightly, you need to fill the casing that the transducer sits in with a very light oil otherwise you wont get a reading from your sounder. as for fitting the gubbins to the boat ???? soz m8 aint got a clue

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Solent Dave

Basically sounder transducers do not work with air on their surface.

Therefore if the transducer is fixed in oil on the inside of the hull the transducer will give a good reading thru the oil and then the fibreglass hull without reducing it's optimum range very much. This saves putting a hole in the hull to install the transducer - least holes the better. imho

First of all you must try and locate a position on the hull exterior that suffers the least from aereated water and also where the internal tube can be protected on the inside. We used to fix/glue a plastic tube on the inside of the hull which is just larger than the transducer dia. Work out a way to hold and cap off the transducer in the tube. Now fill the tube with oil to above the actual transducer and part way up the thread. Fix & cap off.

That may be an 'old fashioned' way but it works;if you can understand my explanation?.

Chrisp may have a much better more modern/easier way - so may be best to wait for his advice.

Jack

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Silicon is not a good idea as it acts as a shock absorber and reduces the signal the trany sends out.

If you don't want to epoxy it in place you must fit it in a tube. First find an area of the hull that is single skinned Usually the sump where the bilge pump is fitted . To make sure it has no voids go out on the water and put a bucket of sea water in the sump, get a mate to hold the transducer in the sump under the water and have a look at your signal. Get the best spot and mark the spot with a pencil. Back home and drain out and dry the area, roughen it up with 40 grit sandpaper and clean the area up with acetone. If you don't use the acetone the new resin will not bond to the flow coat on the hull.

Now the hard bit, get a peice of 4inch sewer pipe and bevel the end to fit the hull so the tube fits vertically. Then roughen up the end of the pipe and clean it up. Glass it in place, this should seal the pipe to the hull. When the glass has set fill the tube wth castor or vegeable oil and immerse the transducer in the oil. Drill a couple of holes in the side of the tube and fit the mounting bracket and tranny with a couple of SS bolts and silicon. Top off the tube with oil and get a stop end for the sewer pipe and cap it off.

Job done.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
more stirling advice from all cheers.
could i use gripfil for fixing the pipe as i have a few tubes or shall i do it right (must stop trying bodge things up)ill do it right
thanks all :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stuck mine slightly off center mid ships.
Low areated water area.
Found the ideal place by puting sensor in a poly bag full of water and keeping outside of bag wet too.

A piece of waste pipe and a fitted cap from B&Q and shaped to fit the angle of the hull under the flooring.
Bedded in with fibreglass.
Filled with Oil.
Sensor wires pulled through the cap.
Cap fitted down with a bit of self amalgamating tape.
This sticks to itself and gives a fantastic seal.
Flap fitted above it for future access.

Sorted.

Do remember to check the oil regularly (Hence the removable self amalgamating tape) as it does vanish slowly and the sensor will not work without it :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts