World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boat is just about ready to go now after having some work done and am now after getting some rod holders fitted. Has anyone fitted anything like these before and is it a job you can tackle yourself ?

Cheers

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Really easy to fit with the correct sized hole saw. Just check there is clearance behind the the surface you fit them to.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really easy to fit with the correct sized hole saw. Just check there is clearance behind the the surface you fit them to.
Cheers Chris. Would you silicone behind the flush fitting or will the gasket be enough?

T

·
0 Posts
MS1000

I am sure you will, but you may wish to through bolt yours rather than use simple self tapping screws...
...I know what you are likely to hook up on out there and it gets a bit annoying seeing your favourite rod and reel go water skiing behind 150lb of Yellowfin or 600lb of Marlin.

When fitting, remember the hole will not be driled vertically, take into account the angle of the rod holder itself.

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
Hiya, I have two of the same fitted to my own boat...and as Tom says, get stainless nuts and bolts to fix them in., as the supplied fixings "pull through" with a big fish hitting your bait/lure,..also, used conventionally, the angle of the rod (for me anyway) is too high, so, its an easy job to fit them the "wrong" way round to get a lower angle....also, I cut the ends off, allowing the rods to fit right down in the holder, and so the reels ( Penn Int 50W) sit on the gunwhale of the boat, and not in the air....I also use carabina clips on nylon cord, attaching the rod and reels to the boat :):) Hopefully they will be safe !! :)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I hope you do use the stainless type in your photo. There are some plastic copies that will NOT support anything that pulls harder than a wee trout.
If anyone has those plastic ones fitted - change them!
Make sure there is something substantial supporting the back of the fitting position. The advice given already about stainless through bolts is sound.
That's a job I still have to do as my second hand boat has just screws holding good rod holders in place. Always another job to do - BOATS!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope you do use the stainless type in your photo. There are some plastic copies that will NOT support anything that pulls harder than a wee trout.
If anyone has those plastic ones fitted - change them!
Make sure there is something substantial supporting the back of the fitting position. The advice given already about stainless through bolts is sound.
That's a job I still have to do as my second hand boat has just screws holding good rod holders in place. Always another job to do - BOATS!
Thanks for the advice all,and they are the stainless model.

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts