World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
has anyone got any ideas on how to fix a pedistall seat to the deck of my boat, its a wilson pilot,. fibre glass deck. i was thinking of a plaster board fixing that expands behind hole but im sure there must be a better way. HELP please

G

·
When I fitted a pair of pedestal seats to my boat, I cut out two circles of 3/4" marine ply then radiused the edges.
Next I mixed up a bit of fiberglass resin and coated the two circles of ply and let it dry.
I then marked where they were going to be fitted and sikaflexed them to the deck and held them in place with stainless screws. Next I got some csm (chopped strand mat) and applied a couple of layers right over the plywood circles and the whole deck. If you do this, you might want to tear the csm at the edges and overlap the next layer as cutting it will leave a visible edge, whereas tearing it will just blend in.
After fiberglassing it all, I flowcoated the whole deck. Once dry I used large stainless steel screws to hold the seats down. Never been a problem since I did that.

Hope this helps.

DF

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Superb job, got to be said, but if you want to save a bit on the gell coat and the prep of all the deck if you mask 2 inches around the backing pad neatly it saves on gell and still looks good especially if it is neat and you use a different colour gell to the rest of the deck.

You need 1/8th inch masking tape for the circle to be neat, not easy to source?. Take a two inch roll to a friendly butcher that has a powered slicer for cutting cooked meat and he will take an eighth slice off it for you. Big circular blade they feed cooked meat into slices falling out the other side. Use this to follow a pencil line marked on the deck and then give yourself more room for error when applying the gell by overmasking the eighth masking with half inch masking.

You can also use bighead fixings under and through the backing pad to bolt the pedestal down. http://www.bighead.co.uk/, if using bigheads I would recomend epoxy to secure the pad rather than Sikaflex

If the base of the pedestal is alloy and you are using stainless fixinigs smother them in Sikaflex and cover their tops with it to avoid galvanic corrosion caused by the disimilar metals dunked in salt water other wise the pedestal base will corode away in short order. If the pedestal tube is stainless smother the end that goes into the base with sikaflex for the same reason.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Would seat boxes instead of pedestals be an option? - got to be a lot less leverage as the mounting area is far wider and you also get additional dry storage space - obviously still need to glassed and screwed down well though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
When I fitted a pair of pedestal seats to my boat, I cut out two circles of 3/4" marine ply then radiused the edges.
Next I mixed up a bit of fiberglass resin and coated the two circles of ply and let it dry.
I then marked where they were going to be fitted and sikaflexed them to the deck and held them in place with stainless screws. Next I got some csm (chopped strand mat) and applied a couple of layers right over the plywood circles and the whole deck. If you do this, you might want to tear the csm at the edges and overlap the next layer as cutting it will leave a visible edge, whereas tearing it will just blend in.
After fiberglassing it all, I flowcoated the whole deck. Once dry I used large stainless steel screws to hold the seats down. Never been a problem since I did that.

Hope this helps.

DF
Use this method BUT before you glue the plywood pads to the deck drill holes to suit your seat base and fit Bighead fasteners through the ply. This leaves you with a threaded bolt which you can then bolt the seat base down onto. Google for "Bighead fasteners" they are great people to deal with and they work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts