World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all.......looking for advice on a decent fixed spool in the sub £100 bracket, I’m actually after a pair. Normally spend my free time plugging for bass but intend on getting back on the beach this winter having not bait fished since December 2016. Been looking at the following so far,

Okuma distance 60
Sonik sks 8000
Penn Surfblaster 7000 & 8000

I’ve also looked online at the Shimano Aerlex. Any info or feedback or alternative reels would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
I've had an Aerlex 8000 for a good few years & its been a good reliable workhorse. More suited to fishing with mono than braid though as no slow oscillation but still a cracking reel for the money.
Rick;)

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Think Veals are now doing the Penn affinity 11 the black version for a £100 I know a lot don’t rate them but love mine cast great and good layline again no spare spool

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use a Sunset Sunseeker SW 7007FD. Cracking piece of kit for a tad under £80 inc 2 alloy spools which i've tapered line on one, mono on the additional deeper spool. Has 7 bearings, stainless shaft, salt resistand carbon bla bla.. Overal impressed so far..

Reactions: Colin Chaplin

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Going back to bait eh?

Traitor.... :roflpuke:

Very good!......... still on the lures at the moment, but I’ll need something to occupy my time over the winter. Not bait fished since December 2016 so it’ll keep me busy in between the shiny season! :BigGrin:

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a pair of Aerlex 6000 XSA and highly recommend them. Good for year round fishing. For the price I've found nothing that cones close
I've had an Aerlex 8000 for a good few years & its been a good reliable workhorse. More suited to fishing with mono than braid though as no slow oscillation but still a cracking reel for the money.
Rick;)

Been looking a lot at the Shimano Aerlex range....... do either of you know anything about these, or know someone who uses them? Thanks.

Shimano Aerlex 10000 XTB.

E0BFD026-218D-4DBA-9F6C-1D9E932F6D40.png

·
Registered
395 Posts
Been looking a lot at the Shimano Aerlex range....... do either of you know anything about these, or know someone who uses them? Thanks.

Shimano Aerlex 10000 XTB.

View attachment 1124521
No direct experience of them but they do seem cheaper than the XSA range.
I'd go Shimano over any brand. Mine have been hammered and still smooth as silk. Just a rinse over and a line change every year.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
A Shimano spheros 5000sw is very good value, not sure how much they cost in the U.K. but here you would get one for £100. Spheros might be a bit heavy for bass, stradics are great but may be outside the price range, on the upside is that one should outlast some of the other reels mentioned.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
These days all I buy is shimano or okuma reels, shimano definitely are smoother and have a lot more finesse. Okuma have a bit more grunt for the money you pay at the expense of smoothness, thats not to say they are rough though. One thing to think about is, at this price point, shimano reels are produced to a lesser standard than previous models, where as okuma production strenght is on the up. At the other end of the scale the shimanos are head and shoulders above the rest.

I seen some shimano aerlex xsa's on the bay, I would go for them before the xtb's

An alternative would be the okuma trio rex salt 60fd

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
These days all I buy is shimano or okuma reels, shimano definitely are smoother and have a lot more finesse. Okuma have a bit more grunt for the money you pay at the expense of smoothness, thats not to say they are rough though. One thing to think about is, at this price point, shimano reels are produced to a lesser standard than previous models, where as okuma production strenght is on the up. At the other end of the scale the shimanos are head and shoulders above the rest.

I seen some shimano aerlex xsa's on the bay, I would go for them before the xtb's

An alternative would be the okuma trio rex salt 60fd
Hi,

A while back, i wanted to replace one of my trusted ultegra xsa, and looked at the new xsd, but was very disapointed : weak graphite body/foot made the reel whobble easily under very little strength. Went for an Okuma trio rex salt (just under 100£ at veals) and very glad i did .... very tough, smooth reel.

Gert

·
Registered
20,599 Posts
Hi,

A while back, i wanted to replace one of my trusted ultegra xsa, and looked at the new xsd, but was very desapointed : weak graphite body/foot made the reel whobble easily under very little strength. Went for an Okuma trio rex salt (just under 100£ at veals) and very glad i did .... very tough, smooth reel.

Gert
:) My experience of Okuma has been chalk and cheese but they appear to be on the up recently. :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hi,

A while back, i wanted to replace one of my trusted ultegra xsa, and looked at the new xsd, but was very disapointed : weak graphite body/foot made the reel whobble easily under very little strength. Went for an Okuma trio rex salt (just under 100£ at veals) and very glad i did .... very tough, smooth reel.

Gert
Hi Gert, yeah that seems to be an issue with alot of shimanos newer models. I have a trio rex salt too and it is a very nice reel with a strong body.

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,649 Posts
I have a shimano aerlex xsa 6000 , smooth as silk . I have a shimano c14+, again as smooth as silk but now far lighter and imo that is a major plus , nothing worse than a clunking big reel on a decent lightweight carbon rod . To be fair i have a penn affinity , no problems with that whatsoever but very chunky in the 8000 size in comparison to the shimanos .

1 - 20 of 27 Posts