World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, this is probably a question that has been asked many times but im gonna ask it again anyways.

I go fishing quite frequently and most people I see are using multipliers, however I have been fishing on and off for about 22 years and have always used a fixed spool reel. I seem to be far more comfortable with these. I have tried to use a multiplier on several occasions and dont seem to be-able to get the hang of them, i can launch a bait out a fair distance using a fixed spool but cant hit that distance with a multiplier

Question 1, Am I missing out by not using a multiplier?

Question 2, Should I persevere with a multiplier?

Question 3, Is it only novices that use fixed spool reels?

Question 4, If not can someone give me advice on a good fixed spool reel to buy (im gonna spoil myself :))

Any help appreciated guys

Chris

·
Registered
265 Posts
Guys, this is probably a question that has been asked many times but im gonna ask it again anyways.

I go fishing quite frequently and most people I see are using multipliers, however I have been fishing on and off for about 22 years and have always used a fixed spool reel. I seem to be far more comfortable with these. I have tried to use a multiplier on several occasions and dont seem to be-able to get the hang of them, i can launch a bait out a fair distance using a fixed spool but cant hit that distance with a multiplier

Question 1, Am I missing out by not using a multiplier?

Question 2, Should I persevere with a multiplier?

Question 3, Is it only novices that use fixed spool reels?

Question 4, If not can someone give me advice on a good fixed spool reel to buy (im gonna spoil myself :))

Any help appreciated guys

Chris

1. No your not mate, fixed spools have come a long way...go for comfort.

2. A cheap to start won't hurt!

3. I know many experienced anglers that use fixed spools.

4. Shimano Ultegra XSA

·
Sole Man!
1,650 Posts
I wouldn't touch a multiplier with a barge pole!!!
Fishings so much fun with a fixed spool.
no birdsnest, no magnets, just cast & reel in the weed!!!!
re;make, SHIMANO ALL THE WAY,yes they're expensive but you get what you pay for.
brolly

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
damdoggies said:
1. No your not mate, fixed spools have come a long way...go for comfort.

2. A cheap to start won't hurt!

3. I know many experienced anglers that use fixed spools.

4. Shimano Ultegra XSA

What he said. :)

Some very good FS reels around at the moment. Check out the Grauvell reels, they are very good. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, now i wont feel like such a spanner when i go fishing and everyone around me is using a multiplier!!!! thanks for the recommendations also, I really like the look of that Shimano!!! might leave work early and take a closer look!!

Chris

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I use either. but fixed spool can be easier. try the daiwa emcast, strong reel, fixed spool, fast retrieve.not expensive now, perhaps 60 quid? good luck on what you decide.

·
Team Rig Maker
19,817 Posts
I looked at going to multi's but have decided to stick with fixed spools, the shimano's are good reels I have had 8000 for around 5 years due for a service I think but it works great. I have recently goot a Daiwa emcast 6000 advanced and I cant fault it same goes for the Diawa emcast 5500 that I use

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
the distance issues with fixed spools have certainly been overcome in the last 10 years with fixed spools

i do however prefer a multiplier as i'm more in touch with the lead when casting,can feel it drop through the water and then hit bottom and can judge how much line to let out to cope with the current. You..or more I don't get that being in touch with the business end with a fixed spool.

also when holding the rod fishing a small multiplier fits a lot better and is more enjoyable to use in my mind than a fixed spool.

nothing against them and certainly wouldn't look down on anyone for using one though.

john

·
Team Rig Maker
19,817 Posts
casting was a bit of an issue with line cuts in my finger due to power built up on the rod, I solved that by fitting a casting trigger, on the weekend i was hitting 130 yards (measured out) and I still havn't got up to full power on the rod

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, now i wont feel like such a spanner when i go fishing and everyone around me is using a multiplier!!!!Chris
who gives a stuff what others think? i turned up at a casting event with a slosh and daiwa meanstreak! hardly prize gear for such an occasion. but none of the experienced guys looked down on me. they just wanted to help me improve. best wishes with your fishing whether you continue with fixed spools or go for a multi. but i know what i'd rather use....

·
Premium Member
38,303 Posts
What ever your comfortable with, no sense in using kit which spoils your day.

I am a multiplier user and really comfortable with them and in truth cannot get on with fixed spool reels, what are birds nest I never have them now days with mag and air brake reels.

Certainly never ever worry about what other people think, do your own thing and enjoy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
casting was a bit of an issue with line cuts in my finger due to power built up on the rod, I solved that by fitting a casting trigger, on the weekend i was hitting 130 yards (measured out) and I still havn't got up to full power on the rod
Thanks for all the Replies guys, very much appreciated. just one other thing though, what is a casting trigger?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use both. BUT the other day I used the fixed spool again.It helped me retrieve at a faster pace. My mate snagged on the way in I came in quickly missing and over the snags.
Drag systems on the multiplier are better but you need to know how to cast with them or you'll spend most of your time undoing "birds nest" while your mate on the fixed spool is catching fish!!
Key to distance is use a fine line(15lb) and a shockleader.

·
Premium Member
38,303 Posts
You need to know how to cast with both types of reels, I have seen leads going in all directions with fixed spool reels and they are prone to birds nest as well. Casting with a fix spool into wind can be a real nightmare.

Why do so many anglers use multipliers? Mainly because they are easy to use in all conditions and my ABU 6500 ct mag High Speed is just what it states when it comes to retrieving line.

Nothing wrong with fix spool reels if that is what you want to use and you don't have to justify it by slagging of multipliers.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
who gives a stuff what others think? i turned up at a casting event with a slosh and daiwa meanstreak! hardly prize gear for such an occasion. but . they just wanted to help me improve. best wishes with your fishing whether you continue with fixed spools or go for a multi. but i know what i'd rather use....
How the bloody hell could anybody look down on you m8?????!!!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
How the bloody hell could anybody look down on you m8?????!!!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
paul, you cut out that part of my quote, you nut! i was wondering if someone might pick up on the height thing haha! well spotted, mate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts