World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 3 Daiwa Emcast fixed spools that I intend to ressurect for mackerel fishing, someone advised me to take off the bail arms for better casting, could anyone advise if this is a good idea, if so what is the purpose?

The bail arm on one of them has bust anyway. It looks like I'll have to cut through the bail to remove them properly. The same person suggested bending the cut-off end into a hook, is this advisable and what direction should the hook face?

Any info or ideas most welcome,
Thanks, Graeme.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I have a Shimano Aerlex GT8000 with a finger pick up instead of a bail arm. The reason I got this reel is because I was suffering from snap backs when using a normal bail arm, from what I have been told it was because of a poor casting style that the bail arm would snap back, but as I was more than happy with 140 yrds using a 12ft rod and fixed spool reel, I never saw the point in trying to correct my style. So I opted for a reel with no bail arm, never had any trouble with it and prefer it to my XS8000 which still has a full bail arm, it would appear that since buying the GT8000 with finger pick up, that I have resolved my casting problems as I no longer get snap backs on either my XS8000 or my Penn 850.

My dad has also had a problem with bail arms and too opted for the finger pick up system, he also converted one of his reels and just hacksawed off the bail arm, not bothering to leave a hook. This has never caused him any troubles and he is still using the reel now, after a good 8 years.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I have a big old Mitchell Amarda ( I think it is :giveup: ) that was brand fire new but no bail arm only a roller, I tried it over 2 years after advice and actually its a pretty great caster. Large spool and built like a srick bhithouse, great for throwing on rocks when unhooking macky.

You should be able to get a new bail arm assembly no probs from the reel Dr or such like though. No idea about the hook bending thing, but would be interested to know about the principles.
http://www.reelvalue.co.uk/fishing_reel_servicing.html

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
for general fishing and a steady retreive no bail arm is ok.

but.. for a sink and draw method used for mackerel fishing where the line periodically drops slack you will have problems with the line coming off the roller.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
for general fishing and a steady retreive no bail arm is ok.

but.. for a sink and draw method used for mackerel fishing where the line periodically drops slack you will have problems with the line coming off the roller.
never had a problem with that yet and that is all I really use my fixed spools for now, although my GT8000 does have the finger pick up, so it has the small hook over bar.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your comments. I've seen the aerlex, this one had the bail cut off and bent round, looked good. Was thinking, I could do similar with the daiwa and use the tag end of the bail to stop the line falling off the roller, somehow bend it downwards to catch the line if it fell off?
What do you reckon?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Years ago people used to remove bail arms because they had a habit of snapping shut mid cast-obviously this is not a good thing-and so they either removed the bail arm or locked it open with an elastic band.With modern [decent] reels the problem has been eradicated,so to be honest I would be tempted to leave your reels as they are.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I've got 3 Daiwa Emcast fixed spools that I intend to ressurect for mackerel fishing, someone advised me to take off the bail arms for better casting, could anyone advise if this is a good idea, if so what is the purpose?

The bail arm on one of them has bust anyway. It looks like I'll have to cut through the bail to remove them properly. The same person suggested bending the cut-off end into a hook, is this advisable and what direction should the hook face?

Any info or ideas most welcome,
Thanks, Graeme.
It's actually a good idea to use a finger pick up bale on the heavier duty beach reels. Some reels have a very poor design of bale arm lock nd snap back at exactly the wrong moment.
It takes a bit of getting used to, placing the line on the pickup roler manualy but it soon becomes second nature.
If it is a lighter spinning size model? I would not bother though. It is a pain to have to do that every cast.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I think the biggest gain in casting distance due to removal of the bail arm comes about with heavier stiffish lines that have a fair amount of memory.

On bail arms closing I've had numerous reels where closure gets easier and easier with time. The best answer to that is to close it manually and not by spinning the handle.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts