World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What causes tangles in the line when spinning with a fixed spool reel. All of the reels that my wife and I use seem to develop a tangled knot just down from the shock leader after about 20 or so casts. Is my line to heavy (12-18lbs depending on reel size)? Are they just c**p reels, two of which are Diawa reels with so called 'twist buster'. They have all been loaded in accordance with the instructions.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
hello tyn
you can buy little gizmo's that go on the end of your line that are meant to untwist
line after a couple of cast's.
you could also try reloading your line the other end first.
when i first started spinning (or feathering for that matter) i found that i was not keeping the line tight as i reeled in and therefore was not re-loading the spool tight enough and this causes birdsnests
i hope this helps but i probably will not as i know bugger all about fishing :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
i get this as well but to fix it all i do is take of the spinner and put a lead on ,cast as far as you can a couple of times and the twists will be gone. :)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Put on a good swivel and THEN cast out as suggested above into a good current. Retreiving should do the trick then, but, if you have my luck, you'll probably snag up!

I've got two Daiwa reels (40 and 50 size) and find that the 'Twist-buster' really works.

Is the line you are using new or something left over from ledgering? Thinner line (try braid) seems to twist less for me somehow, but perhaps you are using a big reel loaded with heavy breaking strain stuff?

I also tend to use spinners (like the Toby) which already has a swivel attached but I also have another 3' from the end.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are a few things I've found can help - using braid is definitely better, I didn't believe it until I tried it after Mike Ladle said he used it; don't overfill the reel; try to cast smoothly rather than blasting it out; some lures tend to cause loops of line by being too light to reel in e.g. some plugs are like this, usually those with small lips (Yo Zuri Tobimaru) some are OK (Rapala J13, Rebel J13), the line seems to be laid down loosely and loops when you cast; if you are using a leader you can try keeping it short so the leader knot doesn't go through too many rod rings. Oh! and when you have finished reeling in your lure, let it untwist before casting out again. Having said all that, using braid (Fireline) and not overfilling the reel, I don't get tangles any more - well, very rarely!

·
Registered
282 Posts
There is such a thing as a anti kink/twist valve , its like a plastic semi circle on strong wire with a swivel attached. Meant to be tied a few feet from your lure, not sure if they work as i dont do a lot of lure fishing tried them once for a short session cause conditions where all wrong.( DOSE anyone know if these actually work)? cheers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would say your line might be a little heavy.

A rough guide as follows

lures up to 20 g use 8lb line
lures 20 - 28g use 10lb line
Lures 30 - 40g use 12lb line
Lures 40 - 60g use 12lb and light shockleader

If you use braid then you can step it up 1 level but dont go over the top and use heavy braid the same diameter as you normally use as it defeats the object of using it in the first place.

There is not much call for line over 12lb if you are using a balanced rod and reel combo. And as stated earlier use a good quality swivel 3 ft above your lure.

Another trick is to load your line on so it coils of the spool (rather than turning like a multiplyer), put about 50yd on see what it comes of the spool like, if it peels off in neat coils then continue as is, if it comes of in big springy coils then turn over the line spool and try another 50 yd. Putting the line spool in water when loading onto your reel also gives a good bedding. Finally on your first few casts with new line use a small lead with a good swivel and cast out and retrive a few times to bed the line in properly, as mention earlier this tends to work for most people.

As for the comments on using braid, I would agree that using a good quality coated braid such as fireline or spiderwire fusion can help in eliminating wind knots almost completely.

As for diawa twistbuster, it can be really good on some lines and a total nightmare on other lines. Braided lines of different makes are spun differently and it can cause real problems when twistbuster decides to undo the braids.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts