World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why would you use a multiplier from the shore?
is there any benefits?
all i see is people keep on getting birds-nests using them.

so can anyone please list the pros and cons from using either reel please.

· Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,407 Posts
I recently nested a reel for the first time in 3 years. Not bad for someone who fishes more or less once a week. :)

If all you see is people using them unsuccessfully then those people are not using them or setting them up properly in my opinion. The multiplier has so many advantages, but the main ones are:

No line twisting
Small and light
Smoother casting and retrieving

Fixed spools are:

Easier to get on with
Low maintenance

It's horses for courses, both have their strengths and weaknesess, at the end of the day it's what you feel comfortable using, the fish don't care what reel you have. :)

· Registered
1,726 Posts
Try searching the tackle discussion forum for loads and loads of info. Some people get very excited about it. The basic truth is that each has it's advantage and that there are many many myths about both. I use both but fixed spool is 1st choice for a variety of reasons. Take a complete read through the longest thread you can find. Expect that to take at least 1/2 hr. Then maybe read some more. You will see most of the myths about both types of reel wiped out.
To give you a clue and keeping it short. A reel like a 6500 without level wind will always cast further than a fixed spool reel given a certain level of skill in both casting , reel tuning and laying the line correctly on the retrieve. In truth many people cast more gently to avoid birds nests and there isn't much difference. Multi's will also perform better in winds. Wind will drag excess line of a fixed spool and shorten the cast. Big fixed spools win hands down on retrieve speed - handy over rocks and weeds etc. The claimed cranking power advantage of a multi isn't as simple as it seems as the handle on some fixed spools is significantly longer and it may even have a lower gear ratio. The decrease in the diameter of the line after a cast had a significant effect on this too as well as drag settings. Again fixed spool wins.
Me I mainly use fixed spool because I mostly fish at night and find thumbing the line boring too say the least. My level wind less multi's hardly ever come out. The ones with level wind come out if it's very windy. I also have one where the presence of a level wind doesn't have that much effect on casting distance - the only problem is that it doesn't wind the last 50yds on cotton reel style so it takes a little more care. In short I want to fish rather than have to concentrate on what my reel is doing so I always use the fixed spool when conditions are suitable.

I cant help commenting on the line twist myth. I was started by salmon fishers etc when they started using fixed spool reels where line twist is a complete disaster. It doesn't matter on a multi. The real problem is that they didn't bother to use a swivel and as I said significant line twist on a fixed spool reel is a complete disaster.

John

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers john,

excellent review and one that a lot of people will find very instructive.
i've never used one apart from a little bait-caster reel i have which i bought for using with my spinning rod. unfortunately, i'm not sure its that good as casting distance is extremely poor.

i need to buy a new reel for a new rod i've just bought.
i have 2 fixed reels and the bait-caster and you reckon a large fixed spool reel would probably be the best choice overall of the 2 types.

so can you give me makes and models of a couple of decent reels i could look into buying.
the new rod is a good one so its only right a good reel goes in tandem with it.

· Registered
747 Posts
started off with a fixed spool and it was great then i switched to a penn 525 supa mag and at 1st i was getting more distance with my fixed spool but now i have set it up perfectly for me get alot more distance now with the 525 and hardly any birdies. but i think its wat you feel comfortable with???? and like you said distance is not everything you catch loads close in. i think its all to do with personal preference?????

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI buddy i use a penn 70 surfcaster,gets me the distance required but like i"ve said before on this site that fish feed close in as well:)
had a look on ebay for the one you're using.

Item No 7233023271

looks like a nice reel.
i'd like to see another couple of recommendations before decision time.
i do prefer rear drag reels rather than front drag.

i see you're a leeds fan.
look forward to taking the mandatory 6 points off you next season. :clap3:
seriously though, hope you lot stay up. you're on a run at the moment and the home form looks good.
its between you and barnsley.
you don't really wanna visit the withdean again do you?
i hate going there myself :nonono:

· Registered
5,809 Posts
Do yourself a favour and get a Shimano Biomaster. Either XS8000 or GTX8000. You can get one on e`bay for about £50. Excellent with Braid.
Tight lines,
Rich
I have the Shimano XS8000 and it was £48 from Poingdestres, I love it and use it with 20lb power pro braid, it is a good reel for casting and also the retrieve is good. I also have the Penn 850 which I got for £50 and that is also a very good reel for casting with. After having both for a few months now I would say that they are very much as good as one another.

· Registered
1,726 Posts
On fixed spool reels a lot depends on what you want to spend. My personal opinion is that the dearer shimano's are too expensive and a grauvell zeus z5000 at about £90 is a much better buy. It includes 3 spools that will cover all of your shore fishing needs including braid and should last for ages. Of the penn reals at about £50 I would go for the bigger one although I wasn't impressed with the spool change - bit's got stuck and wouldn't come out. Mitchel do a good big reel to but I don't like screw in handles - they have been known to gets stuck and went out of fashion donkeys years ago for that reason..
At the cheaper end I've come across people that fish so often they wear out in a few months. The ryobi project seems to be an exception. Askari list them but have a minimum order charge - they stock a lot of goodies though. It's easy to get carried away. Delivery can take up to a week.

Don't forget the multiplier though. Personally I would go for an abu 6500 mag that's fitted with both magnetic and centrifugal brakes. They are easier to tame and with full mag brakes set are fairly tame as they come. There is also an end cap friction brake but the spool must always be movable from side to side under firm pressure so apply with care. I went the root of level wind 1st - it's easier and can be used to smooth out your cast and to get used to the reel. I then bought 7ht's but as I said they hardly ever come out. With hindsight I would have gone the abu root again or bought a ct cage conversion. Many highly rate the penn mag but in my view if you want the best distance reel and distance is the whole idea then it's abu even though they have bit that wear out. It's all swings and round abouts really.

John

· Registered
669 Posts
had a look on ebay for the one you're using.

Item No 7233023271

looks like a nice reel.
i'd like to see another couple of recommendations before decision time.
i do prefer rear drag reels rather than front drag.

i see you're a leeds fan.
look forward to taking the mandatory 6 points off you next season. :clap3:
seriously though, hope you lot stay up. you're on a run at the moment and the home form looks good.
its between you and barnsley.
you don't really wanna visit the withdean again do you?
i hate going there myself :nonono:
Oh GOD i hope we dont go down,I"ll never live it down with the guys up my local club,No seriously its been a rough time for them over the last few years and hopefully things can only get better just like the fishing!:g: Best of luck with your search for your new reel.tight lines, alan.

· Registered
3,661 Posts
I have been using fixed spools for more than 30 yrs now and probably wont change over now. I tried one once (multiplier) but hated the feel of it,i think its deffo a case of what your'e comfortable with.
Iv'e seen a lot of changes throughout the years for the better. my first reel was an intrepid black prince which used to explode when reeling in a 1lb mackerel.lol.
The reels nowadays are just tremendous , even the lower priced reels have fantastic write ups and will see you through a few seasons.

I once owned a cheap ryobi (forget model) and it went everywhere with me. Must have had it for about 12yrs or so, it fished beaches, cliffs, rough ground etc. I ended up given it away to someone as a first reel.

I dare say most of the modern multipliers will last just as well and good on everybody who has the patience to use them. For me though , long live the fixed spool and a big :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy to the guys that constantly change them for the better.:) :)

· Registered
3,007 Posts
I will always use the egg beaters as they are faster. Nothing worse than fishing a shallow ledge only to get snagged every time. With a f/s you just give the weight a tug, hold the rod up vertical and reel like buggery. You will notice that the weight in on the surface almost instantly thus out of the rocks. Go for one with a large spool.

· Registered
1,852 Posts
started with fixed spool to learn the art and then moved onto multiplier... more for the advanced user i guess.
I use a multiplier for most of my fishing, but there is no way a multiplier user is any more skillful an angler than a fixed spool user.

Use what you feel most comfortable with, but don't think a multiplier will catch you any more fish !

· Registered
3,007 Posts
I use a multiplier for most of my fishing, but there is no way a multiplier user is any more skillful an angler than a fixed spool user.

Use what you feel most comfortable with, but don't think a multiplier will catch you any more fish !
True words. They may get you a little more distance and a bit more power to save you pumping in weed but that's about it (arguably). I just cant stand how slow they are.

· Registered
3,148 Posts

This is just about the most sensible post I have read on fixed spool reels, with none of that multiplier is best nonsense.:)

· Registered
424 Posts
all i see is people keep on getting birds-nests using them.

QUOTE]

If this is all you see then you're only watching people who don't know how to use them. Birds nests do occur to the best of casters, but they ought to be very rare, espcially with some of the modern, highly contralable reels such as the Mag Elite and Supermag Xtra. However, as previous posts have suggested, each type of reel has its own merits and it's really a question of personal preference. I'd just like to see the myth that multipliers are beasts to control - just like the one that fixed spools are inferior - well and truly busted. Newcomers ought not to be afraid of them.

Cheers,

John

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.