World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having serious trouble with my multiplier and want to try FS. Is there any adaptors or the like that allow a FS to be used with a multiplier rod? My Daiwa supercast cost a lot and I don't want to make it redundant :bye2:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I guess you have coasters on your multipier ,you can remove these and either fit a Fuji Ziplock reel seat (can be taped on to experiment with) or you could fit the reel on by whipping it direct to the butt using a 1" wide strip of bike inner tube it stretches and will hold a fixed spool very securely and provide a comfy grip it will also allow you to take it off in seconds ,both of these cause no permanent alteration to the rod and will allow you to try your reel on a multilier rung rod If it all works ok look at a more permanent solution

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes you can try any of the removable reel seats, Penn, Abu etc.
I use a Talon reel grip to change multiplier to FS and it works well but they are around th £16 mark I believe.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Tape on a large ring on the bottom of the rod. If you dont line will come of the F/S in large loops and possibly catch or become damaged on the smaller diameter rod rings. Take the Rod to the tackle shopand ask him about this, chances are he will be able to help you and stock the correct size ring in store. Something big like a 32mm Fuji BNHG will be spot on. Alternatively sell the rod and buy a second hand fixed spool rod.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Unless a 'Multiplier' rod has excessively small rings it will manage a fixed spool reel with little difference in (fishing) performance. The fashion for just a few overly large rings on a 'Fixed spool' rod has passed.:clap3:
Much more important is that the butt ring is the correct distance from the reel spool. Important for both fixed spool and multiplier but if too close to a fixed spool the loops can catch around the ring frame.
What is the 'right' distance? Trial and error if you build the occasional rod - like me.
If you have a multiplier rod already give it a workout with a fixed spool and see what you think.
One cheepo telescopic rod I use a lot has a butt ring only 15 mm ID. It's a good way from the reel fitting and with a large fixed spool , 4oz weight 40lb leader and 12lb mainline really flies. Makes a great outfit casting mackerel feathers in the summer. No probs with line bunching around the rings anyway.
My fishing buddy has a Greys Orion multiplier version. He uses a Shimano fixed spool with it. No complaints there.
The old style 'fixed spool' rings were clumsy, easily damaged and difficult to pack away. Good riddance!:clap2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts