World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using these "cheap n cheerful" reels for the last 4 years and i must say they are superb. I have landed everything on them from 50lb + Eels to 20lb + Pollock.

I have a friend who is a regular charter fisherman and he came out with me one day and was so impressed with them he bought 2 off ebay the next day!

I keep them on my boat 365 days a year and they have been abused big time but still work as good as new. In that time i have had other brands (Abu/Penn etc) but they have gradually decayed and broken!

Anybody out there after a cheap reel go and get one as they are no longer in production and disappearing fast.

Poke yer Abu"S etc etc trust me these reels are the nads. Rob

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have been using these "cheap n cheerful" reels for the last 4 years and i must say they are superb. I have landed everything on them from 50lb + Eels to 20lb + Pollock.

I have a friend who is a regular charter fisherman and he came out with me one day and was so impressed with them he bought 2 off ebay the next day!

I keep them on my boat 365 days a year and they have been abused big time but still work as good as new. In that time i have had other brands (Abu/Penn etc) but they have gradually decayed and broken!

Anybody out there after a cheap reel go and get one as they are no longer in production and disappearing fast.

Poke yer Abu"S etc etc trust me these reels are the nads. Rob
As an ex-charter boat skipper I also had a Fladen level wind reel with my hire-out rods and reels collection.

I agree with you, it’s still in working order – when my other reels fell to pieces. I cannot tell which number/model the reel is as the transfers have worn off … however it is still usable and has not been thrown away … as like the others.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
As an ex-charter boat skipper I also had a Fladen level wind reel with my hire-out rods and reels collection.

I agree with you, it’s still in working order – when my other reels fell to pieces. I cannot tell which number/model the reel is as the transfers have worn off … however it is still usable and has not been thrown away … as like the others.

i have the 555 and the 666 and i think they are ace........not quite the same quality as my slosh...but still very good reels...:clap:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Ive got a 555 which I use on my in shore bream rod. Lovely reel.

Pat Carlin's boats in Weymouth are Fladen sponsored and the hire gear is all 777's with solid carbon rods. They get some stick but always catch plenty of decent fish.

Funny though that you hear a lot of horror stories from people who have had Fladen reels - spools folding in etc. I also bought a T15 Warbird lever drag from Trago. Got it home. Flicked the lever to max, then min then back to strike and the reel siezed solid. Hadn't even loaded any line. Trago replaced it no problem and the new one seems to be ok - mind you I've had it for over a year and not used it yet!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.