World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a newcomer to beachcasting,can someone out there please explain to me,what exactly is a 2 hook or 3 hook flapper ?
Info greatly appreciated
Dave H

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
The term flapper is due to the rig being unclipped. For example - a rig designed for more distance fishing will have clips incorporated into the construction so that once the hooks are baited up they can be secured behind a clip (normally situated on the main trace body). The reason a distance rig is 'clipped' is because this creates a more streamlined effect.
There are different types of 'clips' ranging from a basic bent piece of metal to impact shields (which is designed to actually protect the bait during the cast).

But, without filling your head with too much unnecessary info - a flapper is NOT clipped and therefore is perfect for short-medium distance fishing. Generally ideal for estuary fishing or fishing into the surf on a beach (where distance really isnt required). Also well suited to most general pier fishing.
Flapper rigs may have booms which will hold the hooks clear of the main trace body thus reducing the likelihood of a tangle during the cast and also the booms will help ensure that the hook length remains on the seabed once you have cast it out.
Other flapper rigs will have no booms - this makes the rig a little more streamlined but MAY result in a few more tangles of the trace (depending on ferocity of tides etc)
Some flapper rigs have three hooks all situated above the lead others may have one above and one below.
The advantage of having multiple hooked rigs is that your baits will cover a wider area on the seabed but also you can bait up the hooks with different 'flavours' thus potentially appealing to more types of species! It also maximises the scent trail being given off helping to lure fish towards the baits!
A one up and one down flapper rig would consist of a hook above the lead and one which extends below the lead. As long as the hook above the lead cannot reach the hook length of the one below you will have no problem with the two tangling. The one below will be pinned to the seabed as it is held down by the lead - this setup is popular because it allows you to sometimes fish slightly longer hook lengths. A longer hook length can make the bait look more natural because it will move about in the tide and look more natural than a short hooklength that is inhibited by the trace.
The disadvantage of fishing longer hook lengths is that bite detection is not as good and hooking up can be slightly more difficult - but dont let this potential issue put you off experimenting with longer lengths. You just need to give the fish a little more time and you will soon develop the experience to know when to strike and when to sit on your hands a little longer! (Im still learning after 16yrs of fishing!!!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
The term flapper is due to the rig being unclipped. For example - a rig designed for more distance fishing will have clips incorporated into the construction so that once the hooks are baited up they can be secured behind a clip (normally situated on the main trace body). The reason a distance rig is 'clipped' is because this creates a more streamlined effect.
There are different types of 'clips' ranging from a basic bent piece of metal to impact shields (which is designed to actually protect the bait during the cast).

But, without filling your head with too much unnecessary info - a flapper is NOT clipped and therefore is perfect for short-medium distance fishing. Generally ideal for estuary fishing or fishing into the surf on a beach (where distance really isnt required). Also well suited to most general pier fishing.
Flapper rigs may have booms which will hold the hooks clear of the main trace body thus reducing the likelihood of a tangle during the cast and also the booms will help ensure that the hook length remains on the seabed once you have cast it out.
Other flapper rigs will have no booms - this makes the rig a little more streamlined but MAY result in a few more tangles of the trace (depending on ferocity of tides etc)
Some flapper rigs have three hooks all situated above the lead others may have one above and one below.
The advantage of having multiple hooked rigs is that your baits will cover a wider area on the seabed but also you can bait up the hooks with different 'flavours' thus potentially appealing to more types of species! It also maximises the scent trail being given off helping to lure fish towards the baits!
A one up and one down flapper rig would consist of a hook above the lead and one which extends below the lead. As long as the hook above the lead cannot reach the hook length of the one below you will have no problem with the two tangling. The one below will be pinned to the seabed as it is held down by the lead - this setup is popular because it allows you to sometimes fish slightly longer hook lengths. A longer hook length can make the bait look more natural because it will move about in the tide and look more natural than a short hooklength that is inhibited by the trace.
The disadvantage of fishing longer hook lengths is that bite detection is not as good and hooking up can be slightly more difficult - but dont let this potential issue put you off experimenting with longer lengths. You just need to give the fish a little more time and you will soon develop the experience to know when to strike and when to sit on your hands a little longer! (Im still learning after 16yrs of fishing!!!)
if you google paternoster.that will keep things clear and simple for you dave.all this flapper talk is not needed.
its just overkill talk cought on from the blahblah`s and angling mags sexying paternosters up.
good luck.

·
Registered
386 Posts
sorry didnt mean to babble so much - :shutup:
Dave has already been supplied a good link which shows a simple three hook paternoster. Just thought it may prove useful to be informed that there are variations.
Dave is clearly not new to fishing as a whole (his best catches are far more impressive than mine!) so perhaps he may appreciate a little more info...

If not then it can easily be disregarded.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ok cheers - I just got the wrong end of the stick then - sorry fella

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:kissing:Thanks guys,never meant to start ww3.
Thanks for all replies and advice,so when it comes down to it the flapper is sea fishing terminology for the paternoster ? please don't correct me if I'm wrong (LOL )

The word "flapper confused me,that's all,now I have a better understanding of it all,thanks again.

Juanpablo,the 15lb Mirror was my most recent fish caught after a long lay off of 12 years from ALL fishing,before that I was really into coarse and boat (SEA ) fishing which is where the rest of my pb's are from but a 28lb conger and 12lb bull huss are no mean feat
Tight Lines Guys
Best Regards
Dave

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hey Dave I thought you may be conversant with the complexities of rig making seeing that you have migrated from a spot of carp angling!! Plus I just get carried away when I start typing on a subject! lol
We arent having WW3 though - just misunderstood doosh and thought I was being accused of being a 'blahblah'! lol. Thats probably right enough though :laugh:

I would be pretty happy with the 6lb barbel - bet that was a great little fight - never tried for one myself but always fancied it after seeing Matt Hayes on TV!
Im hoping to better the conger this September when I get back over to Jersey!!! The bullhuss is a little embarrassing though - my fiancee caught a 13lb bully the very same day!!! :eek:hmy:
Trouble is she is coming out in the boat in September aswell so will probably wipe the floor with me again. I wish she was still anti-fishing to be honest - I havent heard the end of it!

·
Registered
386 Posts
:
Thanks for all replies and advice,so when it comes down to it the flapper is sea fishing terminology for the paternoster ? please don't correct me if I'm wrong (LOL )

Oh - forgot to say - yes!! Thats basically it fella :victory:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts