World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my first post but an avid watcher of this site. Travelled down to St brides tonight and noticed a few signs has gone up about parking in the lane, also yellow lines on both sides of the road but not the standard yellow lines. Spoke to a resident from the caravan park and they said the lane is private, and anyone parking there will get issued with a £100 fine. Don't know if this is legal or not but this is the company responsible for it.

Screenshot_20200722-233802.png Screenshot_20200722-233827.png
Just to let you all know the lane was packed with cars, I went back home and fished Penarth, 1 strap for me all night.

·
Registered
392 Posts
This is a grey area. Whilst it's legal for them to put the signs up and give tickets, they wont enforce them. The fine is normally £50, and they will send you letters with threats etc. However, they will never take you to court as it'll actually cost them more in fees than they will recoup.

There have been instances of private parking firms taking nurses to court, but this is because they had over 2k in fines, so of course it makes it worthwhile for the company then. They used to clamp you as well, but that's been made illegal I believe in Wales.

So basically ignore it, but dont run up a massive amount of them as they will then take you to small claims court and win. It's the same for private car parks in like McDonalds or Starbucks.

I had one on fabian way, as they said I wasn't a patron of Starbucks. I asked them to prove that, and they refused because of Data Protection. I said no problem, as you cannot prove I wasn't a patron, then I refute the charge. They sent numerous threats to my house, all went in the bin. Nothing ever came of it. These people are basically bullies, but if you know the law then you can use it to your advantage.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I have had same problem from tickets at asda near Cardiff city stadium...ignored them,,threats with letters overs months....then nothing..that was 5 years ago...if ticket of police or council...pay them...as for rest....I bin them..

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The way things are going, us fishermen won't be able to park anywhere near the coast unless you pay.. council's gone mad for yellows, and 2hrs only..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I received a fine today from them. £100 fine. £60if I pay within 14 days of notice. Giving me 1 day to pay. Don't know what to do. Any advice please.

·
Premium Member
8,638 Posts
The way things are going, us fishermen won't be able to park anywhere near the coast unless you pay.. council's gone mad for yellows, and 2hrs only..
I agree but it's not only the officials f. ing it up for us anglers. Just take Ogmore. Car park closed 8pm to 8am as a direct result of idiots causing a near riot on a sunny day when they should have been social distancing. I would have sent the armed responce teams in and put a few shots in the air and told them to move.
Sorry to soap box. But it is a parking issue now.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What makes it worse is the pub owner shuts the gate smack on 8 pm. Maybe it will get better next month when the pub re-opens fully, also if you buy something from the pub (a pint for example) he gives you a free parking pass which is fine by me.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I suppose the question to ask local mp's is what happens to the money collected by parking charges, and why they have been created in the first place for, I for one would love to understand how the surrounding area of Swansea uni has been totally covered in yellows, with only a handful of 2hr only bays avaliable... which are policed night and day, everyday.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
On the subject of fines. But a bit off topic. I parked in selco @hadfield rd cardiff @ 9 am got what I wanted drove to my job went back @2 for more supplies. 5 days later parking fine overstay @ nearly 5 hours equals £100 camera pics too. Stormed into office fuming fine quashed. Be aware. Think it's a scam by the camera firm guys. Theyre based in London

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ring the relevant highways department
Newport council 01633_656656. Ask to be put through
To the highway department ask them if they own beach road st brides wentlooge. And if so do they employ a private ..parking company to issue tickets on this particular road they should be able to tell you either way.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Good information. These are indeed invoices, but it's the responsibility of the parking company to prove liability, and not for you to prove innocence.

As I said, they will not take you to court as it's not worth the costs to them. UNLESS, you've got multiple invoices with the same company, then they will take you to court, and they will win. There were a set of nurses that were taken to court for over £2000 worth of invoices. In this situation it's worth the company going to court, as the fees are much lower than the monies to be recouped. If it's a single fine of £100, then it'll cost them £60 to take you to court, with the admin on top etc it doesn't make business sense for that to do it.

As ML stated in the article, do not pay, and do not admit liability. You can appeal, although this is normally worthless as they reject the appeal as it's the same company handling the appeal as giving the fine.

Here is the email discussion i've had with a private firm;

"To whom it may concern,

I am writing to you with regards to the speculative invoice you have issued. I am in no way accepting any responsibility for the invoice. I would like you to provide conclusive, substantiated proof, that I was nor any party were a patron of the establishment listed.

Your invoice, is nothing more than speculative, and only identifies my car as being parked within the car park. You have not provided any evidence to substantiate your claim of being a non patron.

As you haven't provided proof of the claim of being a non patron, I request additional supporting information from yourself showing that neither I, nor any party were not patrons of the establishment.

Until you can provide additional supporting information, showing conclusively that no party was a patron, then your invoice is speculative, and unsubstantiated. I will not adhere to your appeals process, as this would provide an inference of admittance, which there is none, inferred or otherwise.

Until you can provide conclusive substantiating evidence, then I consider this to be the matter closed, and no further communications will be provided. Once again, I state categorically, this is not an acceptance, or admittance of liability.

Thanks."

"
Thank you for your email.

If you wish to appeal against the parking charge issued to you, please follow the instructions in the paperwork you have received under the "Appeals" section.

Please send your email to [email protected] along with the PCN reference number and the vehicle registration.

Regards,

Enquiries Team.
Thank you for your email."

"
Hello

As stated in the email, an appeal infers acceptance. I’m asking for additional information, therefore not an appeal, it’s a disclosure of evidence.

If you’re unable to provide this, then as stated I consider the matter closed as your letter is a speculative invoice only.

Thanks"

"

We are unable to provide any information due to the GDPR laws.

If the Driver or Keeper of the vehicle wishes to dispute a parking charge issued to them, they will need to follow the instructions in the paperwork issued to them.

Regards,

Enquiries Team"

"
’ve already proven I am the keeper of said vehicle as I have provided the reference of said speculative invoice.

No GPDR laws will be broken as I am asking for disclosure of evidence, much like in a court of law.

As you’re unable to or unwilling to, then I consider this matter closed."

After that email I never heard off them again.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
V
Good information. These are indeed invoices, but it's the responsibility of the parking company to prove liability, and not for you to prove innocence.

As I said, they will not take you to court as it's not worth the costs to them. UNLESS, you've got multiple invoices with the same company, then they will take you to court, and they will win. There were a set of nurses that were taken to court for over £2000 worth of invoices. In this situation it's worth the company going to court, as the fees are much lower than the monies to be recouped. If it's a single fine of £100, then it'll cost them £60 to take you to court, with the admin on top etc it doesn't make business sense for that to do it.

As ML stated in the article, do not pay, and do not admit liability. You can appeal, although this is normally worthless as they reject the appeal as it's the same company handling the appeal as giving the fine.

Here is the email discussion i've had with a private firm;

"To whom it may concern,

I am writing to you with regards to the speculative invoice you have issued. I am in no way accepting any responsibility for the invoice. I would like you to provide conclusive, substantiated proof, that I was nor any party were a patron of the establishment listed.

Your invoice, is nothing more than speculative, and only identifies my car as being parked within the car park. You have not provided any evidence to substantiate your claim of being a non patron.

As you haven't provided proof of the claim of being a non patron, I request additional supporting information from yourself showing that neither I, nor any party were not patrons of the establishment.

Until you can provide additional supporting information, showing conclusively that no party was a patron, then your invoice is speculative, and unsubstantiated. I will not adhere to your appeals process, as this would provide an inference of admittance, which there is none, inferred or otherwise.

Until you can provide conclusive substantiating evidence, then I consider this to be the matter closed, and no further communications will be provided. Once again, I state categorically, this is not an acceptance, or admittance of liability.

Thanks."

"

If you wish to appeal against the parking charge issued to you, please follow the instructions in the paperwork you have received under the "Appeals" section.

Please send your email to [email protected] along with the PCN reference number and the vehicle registration.

Regards,

Enquiries Team.
Thank you for your email."

"
Hello

As stated in the email, an appeal infers acceptance. I’m asking for additional information, therefore not an appeal, it’s a disclosure of evidence.

If you’re unable to provide this, then as stated I consider the matter closed as your letter is a speculative invoice only.

Thanks"

"

We are unable to provide any information due to the GDPR laws.

If the Driver or Keeper of the vehicle wishes to dispute a parking charge issued to them, they will need to follow the instructions in the paperwork issued to them.

Regards,

Enquiries Team"

"
’ve already proven I am the keeper of said vehicle as I have provided the reference of said speculative invoice.

No GPDR laws will be broken as I am asking for disclosure of evidence, much like in a court of law.

As you’re unable to or unwilling to, then I consider this matter closed."

After that email I never heard off them again.
Very well written well done in guessing backround in law? Ha

·
Registered
4 Posts
is this legal or just a scare tactic?
4 m later, same question. I feel it is not legal. Threats and scare tactics. The place they have put that Flash Park sign on Beach Rd seems far outside of the Lighthouse Park Estate area, hence out of their private land - Flashpark customer is The Lighthouse Park (a resident or manager). They want to enforce Notices through Flash. But Beach Road seems to be managed by Newport City Council, although the private estate seems to claim otherwise
Newport Council highways needs to be contacted urgently to clarify ownership. If it's anyone to issue parking notices it should be them the Council for their stretch of road, not residents in the nearby estate.
Plus the fact that Council seems to buy even more land there /half of the Lighthouse Inn visitor car park, to improve visitor access to the coast path - which some ppl there may strongly disagree witg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts