World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,just finished an article in a magazine saying more and more small turbot,brill and plaice are being caught in the thames estuary.
Can anyone elaborate on this,as it would be nice to fish for some more species even if they dont reach a big size.I also heard gurnard could be caught,again any info would be gratefully received.
I fish out of bradwell and have not caught any of these species.
Anyinfo would be great thanks
Andy

·
Mullet Meister???
6,756 Posts
Im guessing from a boat as ive not heard of any been caught from the shore anywhere.

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
You do get a run of plaice in the Thames if you fish Canvey Point, however you do need to be able to cast a long way 130 yards plus.
I have had plaice from Southend Pier several years ago while night fishing at the bottom of the ramp (the start of the stem), it was my best session ever from the pier with over 10 sizeable flounders and plaice. I went back 2 nights later and blanked.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ive had small plaice this year from the pier at Clacton , and has been said there were always plaice on the stem at Southend Pier that were attracted by the mussels, their favourite tuck.:busted_co

G

·
Ive had small plaice this year from the pier at Clacton , and has been said there were always plaice on the stem at Southend Pier that were attracted by the mussels, their favourite tuck.:busted_co
If they love mussels,why do you catch them on *********..............................leave it!
:crazy::wheelchai

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am fishing from a boat,this article was written by a charter skipper
out of west mersea I believe.
The only flats ive caught are dabs

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
There have always been plaice caught off of southend pier but not as many now as there used to be. Used to catch them from the middle of the pier. Biggest ones (2-3lb) were usually caught in april-may.

Havent fished for them for a few years but suspect some may be about. I am sure Rocket will know more.

G

·
a mate of mine had a near 3lb plaice in my boat 500 yards off the beach at minster,sheppey a few years ago and i've had a few small one's from the shore as well.not recently though.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I used have the odd few small turbot in September out off the Sunk head. Not big ones just sizeable and the odd one or two around the 3lb mark.
Best time for the Plaice used to be February and March off of the pier and if on the boat just behind the Mulberry harbor. The 3rd Shelter used to be good early flood. The point used to be good with odd decent 3 pounder cast into the Gulley tho. Find the Mussel beds and you'll find the Plaice.
As for the Gurnard, I've seen a bit of a come back for them in the Thames mainly caught on baited feathers. Tubs and reds from the Pier and all along the north edge.
I have had a fair few Plaice this year up at Fleetwood, Lancs & the same tactics seem to work, find the mussell beds and get the Plaice.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
i have said before that the places i fish for the last 30 years allways produced dabs and flounders along with the odd mr red spot but thes days they dont seem to be about or just the odd postage stamp and even the soles are a bit thin on the ground i used to go to dungie and all ways end upwith a few dabs that fitted my frying pan along with a few soles if you fished for them but as meny of us are fineding out that mr sole aint playing fined the hook may be too meny whiteing about???at the moment or we need a really good north wind to put them in closer??? i aint no excpert but what i do know is the flat fish aint around in numbers like they used to be eny of you noticed this ???? captin dabless:rtfm::rtfm::rtfm:

G

·
usually do ok for the sole (thats the weekend trip ruined!!)

flounders are vertually non existant in the swale compared to 10 years ago though.it was nothing for me to catch 20 in a sesh.(returned em too)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all, been a member for a while but never got much time on the pc . I caught a small Turbot of about 2lb from Deal pier a couple of months back from the third shelter on Sandeel whilst trying my luck for a thornie. Bit of a shock never expected that but made a welcome change from the Dogfish and pout

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
We know the Sole have taken a decision to hide away but the Flounder population has seem to explode latelly along the Gravesend stretches, might only be small 15cm but have taken quiet a few over the last few weeks.
As for Plaice along Gravesend stretches there have been a few half pounders over the years and only taken 1 over 2lb in 20 years. The Medway has a fair few mainly taken in December just before they leave to spawn, and yes fishing over mussel beds, also good numbers of flounder and schoolies.

WW

G

·
We know the Sole have taken a decision to hide away but the Flounder population has seem to explode latelly along the Gravesend stretches, might only be small 15cm but have taken quiet a few over the last few weeks.
As for Plaice along Gravesend stretches there have been a few half pounders over the years and only taken 1 over 2lb in 20 years. The Medway has a fair few mainly taken in December just before they leave to spawn, and yes fishing over mussel beds, also good numbers of flounder and schoolies.

WW
a change of tactics for flounders in the swale i think.if they are in the medway and thames the must be in the swale,surely??:huh:

used to get loads on peeler in the spring and summer and on frozen cooked mussles in the winter with the odd few on rag.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Hi Dave'O, either rag or maddies have been taking them.
Not tried for the Mullet in the Swale Dave, must be some lunkers along there.

WW

G

·
Hi Dave'O, either rag or maddies have been taking them.
Not tried for the Mullet in the Swale Dave, must be some lunkers along there.

WW
yes mate,there is.real big un's too and loads of em.never fished for them even though i know where they get!

working on it though...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If the Sole dont put in a better show this week il concentrate on the Bass and Mullet, at least thy're there and decent sizes.
Tried for the mullet this morning till 11 but only small 2lbers knocking around. Trying again tomorrow as Im between jobs so getting some :fishing: in :sun: I do like a bit of float fishing in the sea.
WW

1 - 19 of 19 Posts