World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

How do you locate flat fish from the kayak?

Do they show up on a fish finder?

Or do you just drift with baits on the bottom using a drift shoot?

How do you choose where to fish? And how far out do you need to go?

I'm not really talking about dabs and flounders - more so plaice, Brill and turbot?

I plan on fishing out from filey.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You won't now where they are, that's the fun of fishing. So called fish finders are cheating. It's handy to know the depth though. I ditched mine years ago and it's made no difference. Expensive toys to lure the unwary angler?
Drifting is my preferred option these days.
A bright day with calm clear sea, the usual attractive xmas tree stuff to attract Plaice, and drift away . Depending on where you are, I don't know your area, a few hundred yards to half a mile. After all, they are caught from the beach.
A benefit of drifting is you can fish with very little lead. I use a one or two ounce, just enough to bounce along the bottom and wake up the flatties.
Have fun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ancient paddler

I thought that flatties might be a good start for me as I cant really afford the fish finder and GPS at the moment. Plus I dont intend on going far out to start. I've got a compass, drysuit and PFD and I plan on doing a safety course then I'm going to get stuck in and add the other stuff later.

2 oz of lead is nice and light - how long is the trace you use? 5ft ?

Cheers

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi ancient paddler

I thought that flatties might be a good start for me as I cant really afford the fish finder and GPS at the moment. Plus I dont intend on going far out to start. I've got a compass, drysuit and PFD and I plan on doing a safety course then I'm going to get stuck in and add the other stuff later.

2 oz of lead is nice and light - how long is the trace you use? 5ft ?

Cheers
Well you will find that long traces are a bit difficult, you are close to the water. As you are drifiting, there will be action at the bait end anyway, I use a two foot trace on the move.
It's like a string of mackerel feathers, i reduce them to four so they can be lifted into the kayak with four fat fish on!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well you will find that long traces are a bit difficult, you are close to the water. As you are drifiting, there will be action at the bait end anyway, I use a two foot trace on the move.
It's like a string of mackerel feathers, i reduce them to four so they can be lifted into the kayak with four fat fish on!
Good point about the action on the drift.

So you use 4 hooks when targeting flatties on the drift ? That's interesting. Cheers

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Watch lead on 3-4" of light mono, spreader boom, 6" traces on each end beads and/or sequins as attractors. If you want extra bling attach a double ended flounder spoon above the boom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts