World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice. I'm looking for a new rod. I will be using it mainly for light beach fishing for flatties with worm baits, braid and no bigger than 3oz weight. I would like something that will cast well but will pick up small bites on the tip easily.
I have been told to go for a carp rod with test curve of about 3lb, but lots of the brands i have never heard of so if anyone could recommend a decent carp or flattie rod that i could get second hand for up to £50 then i would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Carp rods are ok but you must remember that most if not all ( I'm not up to speed on carp rods) are through action,rods aimed at the flattie market have a different action entirely,unlike John who is a tight wad I use upmarket equipment:bleh:,my outfit for sole and the like consists of a Flatty fanatic Mk2 with an ABU 5500 mag and it works very well,but you can pick up kit in your price range if you shop about,a Mk1 F/Fanatic might be found for £50'ish and similarly a reel,good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
As mentioned above, carp rods have the wrong action for what you're after and won't offer the right kind of bite detection. I've used a barbel rod in the past and it's been great. Most come with two tips, a quiver tip and a more through action top section. The through action one is rarely used, but the quiver tip top section is great for what you're after and is great for tackling smaller stuff when it's fairly calm.

Take your pick on what ones to go for, I've got a Shimano Beastmaster but there are loads on the market these days that will be up to the job. Think mine is a 2lb TC top, comes with 3,4 and 6oz tips and is easily good for 4oz of lead.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the conoflex flattie fanatic in mind but i didnt think i would find one in my price range. will look into those barbel rods aswell. Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. tight lines.

G

·
I was fishing with my Shakespeare Flattie rods and a chap passing mentioned that he used one just the same..... for barbel fishing.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
Shaky flattie or the bass and if you are on a limited budget shaky tidewater bass a lot of rod for £30. If you have £90 quid to spend Greys grx 11 9

1 - 14 of 14 Posts