World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
WSF Hardcore Angler
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
until today I hadn't been fishing since early/mid December when I flshed over Eastbourne for cod and I was getting pretty tetchy waiting for a break in the storms at a suitable time to get out after some local Plaice..

now obviously today wasn't what you'd call ideal Plaice conditions but wind had dropped and I needed to go fishing... first thing was to decide where to go, I had Brighton beach top of my list but the Marathon scuppered that idea so then i was thinking Seaford, Hove, Southwick beach or Southwick arm as I didn't fancy Shoreham beaches...

when the forecast held up a couple of days ago I told my youngest boy, Bailey, that I'd take him with me and with a few things I had to take into account like the swell on the beaches from the recent winds, the possible weed, the number of people I was expecting to fish the Shoreham arm in the sun and the coloured water I eventually decided on the Southwick arm (Shoreham east)

left home at 8.30am and a quick stop to pick up some fresh blacks from a friend saw myself and Bailey get to carats cafe carpark at 9am... this is where the fun started... as I arrived there was already a few cars in the car park but, as with most of the coast, there was shingle and crap everywhere with hardly any tarmac visible, so, like everyone down there I just gingerly drove over it to a space and parked up, jumped out the van and thought "I recognise that noise" .. and yes sure enough the tttsssssss I could here was indeed my front tyre going flat! what did I do? well what any other angler in my position would've done... I thought "f**k that I'll sort it when I come back I need it get some bait in the water"

well that was my first flatty of the day but luckily it wasn't my last.... after a few minutes walk on to the arm there were 3 fella's on the end so I set me and Bai up about 15 yards back from them and got some bait in the water.... I had a bit of a selection with me today, I had waited so long to get out and thought I'd have a bit of a mix up and see what I could find so I took the fresh black lug, some frozen sticky black, squid, a bluey, 1 mackerel and a couple of frozen hermits..

2 rods for me, a 1/0 2 hook flapper on one with a size 3 loop rig on the other.. a couple of size 6's on a flapper down the wall for bailey to keep him amused and after 5 minutes we were off and running.. a small whiting, not surprising but certainly hoped there was other stuff about.. after another 5 minutes or so one of the guys at the end had a Dab, which I was pretty pleased to see and then another 10 minutes later I had one of my own, well it wasn't a rockling or whiting so I was happy when this flow continued for pretty much the whole session, including a few pins for Bailey which he was loving, especially the double shot he got that produced a cheer from the boys at the end... now don't get me wrong, there were more pins than Dabs but a fair few Dabs showed in the sunshine...

after a couple of hours I reeled in another double shot of pins.. or at least that's what i thought.. because there on the bottom hook was a tiny little 19cm codling! well that put a smile on my face!.. yes I know, it was tiny, almost embarrassingly small, the sort of thing my mrs would describe as cute and makemineadouble describe as live bait, but I just gave him a little look, smiled, took a picture and sent it on his merry way to put on 15lb and come back to say hello in a few years...

as mentioned above, the pattern of whiting and Dabs continued with an odd Flounder thrown in for the afternoon but one thing that did break up the flow was the look on my face when Bailey dropped his iPad mini off his lap and onto the floor shattering the screen! the very reason I didn't want him to take his Christmas present with him but no, dad was just being mean saying he couldn't so I gave in and low and behold dad was wright, not for the first time and I'm pretty sure it won't be the last!

anyway, it got to around 2.30pm and I was feeling a bit peckish and knew I had to change the wheel for the spare before we got home so packed up and headed back to the motor.. opened the door, put the rods, box and bucket in the back, went behind the seat to grab the jack and... hang on, where's the jack? oh for god sake it's in the other van!! .. rang my partner John and he agreed to drop it to me but he couldn't hang about as was just off out with the mrs and nipper... no problem mate all I needs the jack and the wheel nut wrench.. a little while later John arrived, got the jack and wrench out and that's where the fun bar raised up another knotch, there was no extension to turn the jack so I had to pinch the end with a spanner and slowly turn it so the jack raised the van off the floor, hold on I thought, I better loosen the wheel nuts first, silly boy..... so picked up the wheel nut wrench, went to loosen the nuts and it was too bloody big!! ...aaarrrggghhh!

tried the adjustable spanner, my hand slipping in the process slipping under full force and smashing my fist into the shingle covered tarmac, nice, felt fantastic and at this point I was having so much fun I was literally beaming from ear to ear!... well that didn't work so got my phone out, only 5% battery so things were getting desperate and I was having the time of my life! .... luckily there was a knight in shining armour in the shape of a guy just going into carats with his mrs and kids who grabbed an adjustable wrench out his van... oh thank god for that! i'd been in that poxy car park for over an hour now and was getting pretty hacked off!

undone the nuts, slowly and painfully raising the jack using the spanner on the end to twist the teeth, changed the wheel and hay presto I was ready to go home:clap2: ..... just as I was finishing this painfully slow process my mrs turned up in the car, I had called her when I first discovered the jack was missing the pole and the wrench was to small, "ok babe I'll put kids in the car and come and get you" she said.... must've had to have a sun bed, straighten her hair, put on her eye lashes, nails and a jab of Botox before she left the f***ing house ay! of course if it was the other way around I would've had to leave home with tissue hanging out my crack and half a beard for fear of spending the night on the bloody sofa!

after all that the initial plan of a Sunday roast was well out the window so grabbed an Uncle Sams on the way home and haven't stopped comfort eating since... I actually feel a bit sick! ... well I need to get the tyre replaced tomorrow, sort a replacement screen for the boys iPad and didn't get my Plaice but do you know what the funny thing is? I'm sitting here now thinking to myself "I actually enjoyed myself today" and yeah I did.. I won't forget it in a hurry that's for sure but I went out to get a few fish and got some... can't complain really can I :fishing:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Superb report mate wheely good, lots of variety and a sunny day to boot.
Shame about the boys i-Pad but kids never listen to reason.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Great read.
Cheers

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Loved that mate, great pics, I reckon the best bits outweighed the worst bits.
Didn't find all of my fence and ran out of the right size nails....Aw never mind
Made my evening brighter.
Thanks
Stevo T

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
O dude, that was one, sad, funny, sad then funny, then sympathitic then angry report, thanks I did get a goid laugh out of that, well done bailey, and not so well done bailey, and your right about the wife mate,, typical, where do peopke keep getting those bloody handy looking livebait measuring sticks????,

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
excellent report , that tyre business sounded like your worst nightmare to me , been there etc , well done on catching , the later lines of the post made me smile

G

·
Good to see you putting up reports again Tommy,strange day gave forth a good read and at least you managed a cod......Alan

·
Registered
705 Posts
Fab report. Ive been un that situation a couple ov times... Now i have 2 Jacks AND 3 Jack arms!
Xxx

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Cracking tale of highs and lows, all made worthwhile because you went fishing.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Jesus......sounds like my luck, remind me not to buddy up with you Ever!

Great read as always nice one:victory:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Great read Tommy mate, remember It's no fun if it's too easy! :) and it'll make the next session when everything slots into place all the more sweeter. How long before Bailey gets to see pocket money again??

Jim

·
Registered
491 Posts
Your in the wrong job tommy. Sign him up for TSF Barney.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts