World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Being a relative newbie to the beaches I'm after a few hints and tips on bagging a flattie or two please.
I fish Chesil (Abbotsbury through to Cogden), am not afraid of walking but just can't seem to find them. Have I missed the late spring run?
I'm after advice really - tides / times / baits / rigs / distances all the usual info!
I live locally so try and fit in evening sessions on bigger tides after work, and have so far found doggies, pout, and a couple of school bass.
Any local secrets gratefully received!!!

Cheers.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,
To add to my above thread, I have tried rag, lug, squid and cocktails of the three but to no avail! Can't seem to buy any decent sized Lug anywhere (wont say where I have been buying it for fear of offending anyone!)
I'm fishing pretty standard flapper rigs with smallish hooks at about 60 - 90yds.
Is it a case of perseverance, or are plaice & dabs fairly common and I'm just missing them?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
hi nobby...
i fish these venues all the time and have caught both plaice and sole from bexi. if you are after sole, fish over high at night, use black lug and rag cocktails or either as a single bait or tipped with mack or squid. rigs to use are the portsmouth(pompy rig) or anything with a hook or two at the bottom of your rig. if you feel your lead really grip hard as you start you retrieve, then this is where you stand the best chance of a sole as they like the muddy areas you may also get dabs aswel. so try hitting the same area each time.

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
hi mate, i have only had 2 plaice this year, 1 first light on an incoming tide at west bexi, and the other late at night on the ebb tide, also at west bexi, though only around the pound mark. :) matt

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the advice.
I'll definately keep trying then, especially as I've just found out that I've been using blow lug instead of black lug. :( Ahhh well....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts