World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
King of the Plaice
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scratched around with my new pump dogding the hailstones (love the Bank Holiday weather!) for a few lug then wandered off to fish out past the mussel beds at low water.

Used one rod with one size 2 hook, had a bite every cast but only landed one eel :yucky:

Quick question though, anyone know how the heck I could get electric shocks off my Conoflex Flattie Fanatic?? (and no it wasn't an electric eel) :eek:hnoes: it's been puzzling me all the way home! I presume it was static, but surely it was too damp?

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
usually if you feel a shock off your rod its due to an electrical storm in the area and its telling you to stop fishing. i,ve actually heard rods buzzing at our casting club, and once picked mine up and got a fair old belt off it .
be careful with carbon rods:blink::blink::blink:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Seriously mate I HEARD MY ROD BUZZING!!!! Crumbs! I actually heard it before I felt anything!!!! I thought that was too rediculous to mention!
The buzzing is caused by positively charged ions stripping off the rod (causing resonance) forming a stream upwards towards clouds with a strong negative charge. If the potential between the two is significant a lightning stroke can follow that path to ground. Climbers ice axes have also been known to show this phenomenon.

Best to either lay the rods down on the ground or stay well away from them if you hear it again. Hailstones generate a lot of charge on their way through clouds.

ATB.
Lobber

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yeah, I've experienced the same thing with ice axes, once on Mont Blanc and once in the Lakes. On Mont Blanc we were pinned down by an electrical storm around dusk and the axes were actually glowing blue and humming like a pylon (like something out of Frankenstein!)---quite terrifying!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts