World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from a w/end on west coast,tried to fish fleetwood on monday at back of leisure centre,being new to sea fishing my inexperience soon bacame apparent,the sea was more like a surfing beach and the wind was well up.my gear is only set up to cast 4oz so was having real problems holding bottom and was constantly getting wrapped up with weed,having read the post from around this area that had managed to fish in these conditions with some success could you please advise what set up i should have been useing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was fishing Mondays high tide at Dronsfield Rd just round from you. It was a bit rough and I only caught a codling of 1Lb,conditions were manageable. I was using 5oz no probs but any less isn't going to hold with a big tide and weed about. You need an outfit that can cast 5oz plus for general beach fishing, in rough conditions casting beyond the breaking surf line is an advantage. I dont know what you use but 15lb main line plus shock leader aids casting distance. To help to hold bottom on big tides and seas walk uptide before you cast let the lead settle before tightening up but keep your rod high to avoid your line catching to much weed. Most of the weed on Monday seemed to be on the surface so as long as your holding bottom there,s a good chance your bait is still fishing. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for reply chaddy,my set up was 18lb main with 45lb shocky and 4oz gripper lead fished with a pulley rig and worm bait tipped with squid,i shall in future use 60lb shocky and 6oz lead when sea is that rough,cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts