World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any opinions as to whether braid or mono is best for float fishing.

A prize of one second hand truss is being offered to the member who comes up with the most authoritive opinion.

Fred

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I've gone over to using braid for ALL my fishing. I use the Fireline XDS, although I still have the 'ordinary' fireline for very light use. Thus for float fishing it's Braid!1
Why? I feel I need instant contact with the hook and braid gives it me. It is possible that having a stiff rod and braid would cause problems and hook pulls but as my float rod is very sensitive and "swallows up any sudden lunges." I've put the last phrase in parenthesis as I have yet to hook anything large!!

If i'm using Waggler type floats the 13' Feeder rod does very well even in some wind and tide. The floats are capable of supporting quite large baits (!!!! What on earth does this mean!) Well, I can bait a hook with as much bait as I would if using my beachcaster - 2" crab, King Rag, couple of blow lug, small sandeel/whitebait Oops any ONE of these! I can cast this weight about 15yds min. and let it work with the tide. So far only small codling and Pouting.

When all is soft and balmy I take out the 17' float rod and fish with quills, and have maddies wriggling their little hearts out for Wrasse and Pollack. Again i use the 7lb braid (it's like a hair!) I use this in two particular spots where the water is deep very close to the bank and cast into moving water, let it move and then retrieve over submerged rocks. Wrasse and Pollack to about three quaters of a pound so far! Great fun and releives Blanking/boredom.

It worked when I used mono but I now have instant contact with the braid. I'm considering getting some floating braid which will give me even quicker contact. It will also be perfect for freelining crab or King Rag for Bass - watch this space!

B

·
0 Posts
BloodyHell Swelly' are you REALLY that desperate to get your hands on one of Freds cast offs? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts