World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can any one tell me if it is possible to float fish of the rocks at night and how to detect bites ......... how can you see your float?...... is it better than fishing daylight and what fish feed better at night.... going to south west coast of scotland if thats any help............ thanks :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi Aldge. Easiest way to see your float at night is to purchase a float with a built in "starlite" such as the ones produced by Edystone or modify an existing float by drilling a small hole and fitting your own. These can be seen from quite a distance in the dark. Float fishing is usually carried out during the day but it can be very productive after dark, especially for pollack and scad. Both these species will often come up very close to the surface underneath harbour lights etc.

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I fish from the boat but use floats a lot during the day, they are brilliant at dusk on a calm day for garfish, bream and triggers. Never had much luck on them after dark except for Tope. I think the type of fish here that are attracted to a float fished bait are not active after dark, but that may not be the case where you fish.

The bay where I fish has very little current in some areas and this is where I use a float at night for Tope fishing. The float is not used for showing bites but to give some movement to a bait fished on the bottom. The set up is the same as for freelining but a sliding float is added to give a touch of boyancy to the bait and a bit more drag to allow it to move with the current. I hold the rod so I can feed out line and kep in touch with the bait, no need to be able to see the float to know you have a take.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I fish at night with a float for bass theres a bridge near me that a tidal river runs through, its busy with traffic in the day an although you will catch in daylight hours the chances of catching a car are quite high.So we fish at night with a glow light taped to the float fished with live prawn or eel it can be deadly :) :cool:

P

·
0 Posts
I have caught my biggest bass by float fishing at night. For floats upto 1/2ounce I normally use the comoran range, the top pops off and you insert a starlight. Askari are now doing a range of chemical night floats that will take upto 1 ounce. They are all sliding floats.

It is all to easy to get hypnotised by the light bobbing away and to miss a bite! But it is exciting and the fish come closer in to feed at night!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers lads...where can i buy these floats cormorant and askari and are they expensive :confused:

P

·
0 Posts
aldge said:
cheers lads...where can i buy these floats cormorant and askari and are they expensive :confused:
The ones from Askari are about 99p each, the Comoran ones are about £2.50 each

P

·
0 Posts
beefcake said:
when night fishing can you use night sticks selataped to the float?
beefcake
Or buy a float that you can pop the top off, insert a starlight and pop the top back on!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Sorry beef.....the water would wash off the tape in seconds.
Drill a hole into the float the same diameter as the tubing that comes with the lights then superglue the tubing into the hole.Add light....and you are sorted.

Terry F. :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Aldge

PM or email me with your address and i will post u some some 11/2 inch cyalume nightlites

Woodster

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
aldge said:
can any one tell me if it is possible to float fish of the rocks at night and how to detect bites ......... how can you see your float?...... is it better than fishing daylight and what fish feed better at night.... going to south west coast of scotland if thats any help............ thanks :confused: :confused:
hi m8 ive floated at night with great success.A light pike float with a thin projection abouve the bulb part,place a starlight tube on the top ,place starlight inside( after snapping to activate) ther you are .its great to see the float wizz away.pollack bass gars are some species ok!good luck
n

P

·
0 Posts
The way I have done it my pike floats is to cut the plastic tubes that are supplied with the startlights, use epoxy resin (araldite?) glue 2 at opposite ends to each and you can use 2 starlights. Because I find in the sea that the float has a tendancy to twist around and it is possible to lose sight of the starlight, unless it is mounted high enough or, use similar floats to the comoram, but rated at 1 ounce!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts