World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
ive caught plenty of garfish and mackeral on the float last year off chesil,can anybody tell me some other species that can be caught on the float from there and the bait etc?ive often thought of putting a big bit of mackeralon:g: or even a live one on and seeing what happens but not sure how to get it out there. somthing must attack and eat the vast shoals of mackeral off there in the summer?any thoughts and ideas would be most helpfull.
cheers bri

·
Registered
489 Posts
im not sure about that mate, but that catfish is dammn impressive!! pat on the back deserved when/where was that caught and could you post the pic!!!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
i have seen people catch mullet off chesil on the float, i have hooked but never landed them myself ( lack of landing net etc etc). scad are another summer fish to catch on the float, same tatics and bait as for gars but really close in so it needs to be calm. they only feed for a short time around dusk but ground baiting will keep them feeding for longer normally about from late june till september

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
hi
ive caught plenty of garfish and mackeral on the float last year off chesil,can anybody tell me some other species that can be caught on the float from there and the bait etc?ive often thought of putting a big bit of mackeralon:g: or even a live one on and seeing what happens but not sure how to get it out there. somthing must attack and eat the vast shoals of mackeral off there in the summer?any thoughts and ideas would be most helpfull.
cheers bri

Certainly is a big pussy you have there... I float fished West Bexington at the end of April, and with the offshore wind it was very do-able. It was a grueller of a match, and I didnt catch on the float, but had there been more fish around, I think you could catch anything on the float from this beach, just by going over-depth, and fishing it similar to stret-pegging a river, - its no-where near as deep as estimates I heard at Bexi - basically bouncing it along. If you find a stretch free of anglers, I reckon it would be a nice way to spend the day, just walking along staying in touch with your float. Head hooked ragworms, peeler crab, live prawn if you can get it, and I reckon you could catch just about everything. The heavier the float you use, the easier it will be to do, and braid is the only line, as nylon will sink and act like an anchor. To really hedge your bets, this year I have been using a very effective two hook rig from the float which is pretty much tangle free. PM me for details if you are interested. Good luck, and let us know how you get on. I regularly use the float from the shore, and have caught everything from dogfish to plaice to bass to ......... Much underused and underated method. Any kind of swell, however, and you are better on the rolling lead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts