World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:idea: Digging the old floats and spinning rods out next weekend for a spot of fishing at St Davids, wondered if any one got any ideas on how to stop the the float from changing depth when casting out, the problem is i still use the old elastic band method but it ever moves going up the eyes or just comes of:uhuh: .
Has any one got any better methods that will work:idea:
Hows the rock marks around St Davids fishing of a late, looking to go 16th, 17th this month, 2 day trip so a spot of night fishing on the cards.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
:idea: Digging the old floats and spinning rods out next weekend for a spot of fishing at St Davids, wondered if any one got any ideas on how to stop the the float from changing depth when casting out, the problem is i still use the old elastic band method but it ever moves going up the eyes or just comes of:uhuh: .
Hows the rock marks around St Davids fishing of a late, looking to go 16th, 17th this month, 2 day trip so a spot of night fishing on the cards.
Hi dogs pollacks cant say how st davids is fishing i havent fished yet this yr but for you float mate do a STOP KNOT on the line above the float (i might be going that way myself next week tight lines

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that guys, heard somewhere that a small "bead" like those course fishing type people use works well, just put the line in it and then put it in again this makes it tight and stops it moving, you can still adjust the depth by slackening the line and moving the bead, (you grt the drift), but its small enough to pass in the eyes of the rod, not sure about the reel, but will try some ideas and see whats best.
Just hope the weather holds out, let you all know what happens.

·
Registered
276 Posts
A stop knot tied from 14lb red power gum is best. The `stop knot` is really just a grinner tied to the mainline. Leave about 1cm tag ends and the reel and rings wont know it`s there.

·
Registered
536 Posts
This is a version of stop knot i use ,leave a tag on the knot facing towards the float,also use a small bead...When tying on make sure its not too tight and move with a bit of resistance

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
The little bead works well only advice I can give is don't buy the ones designed for fishing as their expensive. If you go to one of those nitting/sowing shops you can get smaller beads for childrens necklaces at half the price.

They work just as well if not better

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
i just use a stop knot like what congermagnet has shown, to set up the float i just do this, slide on a bead, float, ball lead, bead, tie a swivel on the end, then tie on some line weaker than your mainline, then your hook. this means that if your hook gets snagged, all you loose is the hook not the flaot an all. then just tie the stop knot at the desired depth.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
i would listen 2 rockling the the stop or sliding knot is a brilliant way of stoping youre float or changing the depth when you want i use it a lot in coarse fishing when i fish deep lakes.TIGHT LINES

1 - 11 of 11 Posts