World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anybody float fishes off hayling beach in the summer as it has been a thought of mine this winter to do it as i normally fish nights but get ther 2-3 hours before dark and it seems ideal. if so just a few questions.

1. is it any good and what might i catch.
2. how far up should the float be set from the hook
3. what sort of set up like (hook sizes and types of float)

any info would be good
cheers dean

·
Registered
184 Posts
hope you get some feed back on this topic dean,ive also wondered about the exact same thing,same venue as well,lets sit back and see what happens.
kjp.

L

·
0 Posts
As Hayling is known for its bass I imagine that float fished (bubble float) live sandeel would be a killer! I'd set a depth of a couple of feet and fish it 20 - 40 yds out. But you might want some real local advice too!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
As Hayling is known for its bass I imagine that float fished (bubble float) live sandeel would be a killer! I'd set a depth of a couple of feet and fish it 20 - 40 yds out. But you might want some real local advice too!
Yes, this is a method that has worked for me close in on the Sussex beaches using a live prawn - sandeels bit hard to get hold of here but have fished them this way on a Devon beach and caught schoolies. Bubble float with 3-4 foot trace or standard pike/sea float fished slider style at whatever depth works. I'm sure 3-6ft would be good a Hayling as it's quite shallow close up if I remember. Brilliant, brilliant way to fish. Also works at night if you just keep the line tight to the bubble float and feel for the bites.

Also if you cast out a lead and keep the tip high you can slide a float dow the line and fish it about 15-20 yards out. This will be better in some ways as you don't get drift on the float and don't have to always hold the rod.

On the Brighton to Shorham beaches you can see the float at night up to 20 yards out because of the promenade lights. Now that is fun.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers guys definately some food for thought there. especially about the live baiting of sand eels and prawns with a bubble float can't wait till summer so many new ideas to try.

hopefully someone a bit more local can shed some more light on the subject soon aswell.

kjp maybe we have some weird psycic connection goin on:blink: lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
cheers guys definately some food for thought there. especially about the live baiting of sand eels and prawns with a bubble float can't wait till summer so many new ideas to try.

hopefully someone a bit more local can shed some more light on the subject soon aswell.

kjp maybe we have some weird psycic connection goin on:blink: lol
we might have dean,lol,good luck with it,im defniately going to give it a go,might even take an extra rod this weekend just incase,if only to see how it all works.tight lines m8.
kjp.:wave:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hayling Island may be a beautiful venue, but it does make me wanna cry - it's a frustrating plaice that rarely produces the goods! And I've been there many, many times with Ada. But I'm sure he'll say different cause he can cast a line from his bedroom window :g:

Fish do show, and some good ones at that, but you do have to be there day in day out to reap the few rewards.

·
Registered
423 Posts
HA

Cracking post re your float fishing. I used to live near the south coast but am now in Scotland. Float fishing with rag/lug up here has provided good wrasse and as the summer months approach I can't wait to start the floating again.

I'm also a fan of freelined bait (if the bait is heavy enough and the water is deep and calm).

Great post.
Blenny

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well what can i say there is alot of good info there (more than expected to be honest) definatly gonna try float fishing with strips and live bait if i can get hold of it.

by the way h.a when groundbaiting how do you do it is it wade half way then chuck or all the way.

never actually freelined before but could also be worth a bash. i did have a few good bass up to 5lb was biggest on squid at low tide at sandy point.

·
Registered
184 Posts
bloody good response that,im going to have a go will let you all know outcome as and when lads,tight lines.
kjp

·
Registered
43 Posts
As said before, brilliant information coming out here, thanks to all who contributed. Interesting reading. :clap3:

thanks

graham

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've tried a swimfeeder with a mush of mussel/squid/lug and although I drew a blank it was early in the season. I'm sure this will work on a relatively calm day and will try this later in the summer.

Don't have too many beaches with groynes up this way but will keep my eyes peeled.

Good thread.
Blenny

1 - 14 of 14 Posts