World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello Mate - copied from a post I gave a few weeks back:

float fished for pollack a few weeks back in pembroke - used Rag two hooked through the head - free to wriggle & look tasty.

Set up used

- slide on a rubber stop to your mainline, pull through approx 12 ft of main line.
bead
float
bead
weight
bead
swivel
tie snood - approx 3 ft, size 3/0 hook is good.

Set up fishes then at approx' at 15ft". However, with the slide on rubber stops you can vary the depth easily.

Had 3 decent pollack .best 4 1/2lb.

Theres a good daiagram/article on pier fishing in this months sea angler - towrads the back - gives a good diagram about depths of different fish.
Using a rubber stop makes life easy I've found - easy to vary the depth.

Hope this helps. Great fun - with light tackle.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Beefcake

Manx Fisher did a nice posting on float fishing on 4th April. in the General Disc forum

Fred

P

·
0 Posts
beefcake said:
hi all
i have never used a float rig and was wondering how you make them?
how do you set the height of the bait?
thanks
beefcake
You will love it, in the summer that is my main method of sea fishing.

The setup I use:

stop bead <--drennan do a good range that are small enough to go through rod rings

bead <-- I prefer 4mm bead

sliding float <-- Again, I prefer using XL pike deadbait and livebait sliders and they are rated at 1oz

bead
weight
bead
swivel
Hook length <-- I prefer a weaker hooklength and I use flourocarbon

Hook <-- anything from a size 4 or 6 upwards. My favourite size is a 1/0 uptide hook

Bait

luck

Depending on where I fish I normally start off at about 10-12 feet down and adjust at to what my target species is.

Mackerel and garfish, generally, in the top 6-8'. I have also caught Bass, Pollack and Mullet at this height. Again, it all depends on how deep the water is where you are fishing.

Do not be afraid to experiement with depths and baits.

Apart from that, enjoy yourself!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
hi beefcake

look at this answer again and it tells you!!

Phil the Float said:
You will love it, in the summer that is my main method of sea fishing.

The setup I use:

stop bead <--drennan do a good range that are small enough to go through rod rings

bead <-- I prefer 4mm bead

sliding float <-- Again, I prefer using XL pike deadbait and livebait sliders and they are rated at 1oz

bead
weight
bead
swivel
Hook length <-- I prefer a weaker hooklength and I use flourocarbon

Hook <-- anything from a size 4 or 6 upwards. My favourite size is a 1/0 uptide hook

Bait

luck

Depending on where I fish I normally start off at about 10-12 feet down and adjust at to what my target species is.

Mackerel and garfish, generally, in the top 6-8'. I have also caught Bass, Pollack and Mullet at this height. Again, it all depends on how deep the water is where you are fishing.

Do not be afraid to experiement with depths and baits.

Apart from that, enjoy yourself!
..... sliding float <-- Again, I prefer using XL pike deadbait and livebait sliders and they are rated at 1oz.... and if you still don't see the answer here Ask when you go to buy a float the amount of lead you need to use..remember youe bait size will effect it too..

P

·
0 Posts
Also remember that sea water is slightly more dense than freashwater. Generall I over weigh my floats by about 3 grams plus bait, and the float still shows well above water!

I have floats that take 3/8 oz, if I am fishing close to the surface from my fishing vantage point.

As has been said, do not be afraid to ask.

Concerning the floats that are sold for sea angler, the reason that I do not use them is that they, in my opinion, are tooooo long and have a tendancy to keep flipping, even with a small swell. So stick to those floats I have mentioned, just to get you started and then you can go on to other float types ie:

Self weighted upto 1oz and that includes the the Polaris and Scud range, all the way down to coarse type wagglers and carp controllers.

P

·
0 Posts
beefcake said:
how much do they cost?
what will be the best one for pier fishing?
beefcake
The type of float you are after is the Fox Dead/Live bait slider XL

here is one place:

http://www.bobcotackle.co.uk/fox-predator/float_stubby_slider.htm

They are the ones I use for pier fishing, the XL one is rated at 1 ounce. The beauty of this type of float is the line passes through the body and not waggler style!

Hope that helps!

P

·
0 Posts
beefcake said:
another question i have is how do you cast them (the same or do you chuck them in)???
beefcake
It can be very difficult to cast them, sometimes I just flick them a few yards, as you have said you will fishing from a pier, do what I do and just drop it over the side and let the current take the float out.

P

·
0 Posts
beefcake said:
im sorry i have so many questions!!!!
what is the maximum length of line you can have for your hook and at what depths do you catch the most fish from a pier?
beefcake
The hook length can be anything from about 9" to 2 foot.

As to what depth from a pier, it all depends on

1) your target Species and
2) how deep is the water

For mackerel and garfish, I normally fish at around 6 foot

For Bass, sometimes a little bit deeper

Basically start off at about mid-depth and adjust accordingly.

P

·
0 Posts
Bass feed at any depth, they have been known to take surface lures, or caught feeding on the bottom. It all depends on their modd (do fish have moods??).

The Bass I caught yesterday was caught at a depth of about 8ft, and the depth of water was about 10-15ft at the time with a making tide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts