World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from 2 weeks in Orlando and can report that my first ever lake trip there was a success. The family and I were staying at the Summer Bay resort which has its own lake. I saw a few of the other holiday makers were using light rods with a little bit of worm on and they were quite successful in reeling in small fish after small fish.

I popped to the local wall mart and purchased a rod and reel $20 9plus a bucketload of rapala x-raps and storm chug bugs that were on sale for just over a pound a go! Anyway to cut a long story short, I tied on much larger hooks 1/0 than the Americans were using and put some worms (nightcrawlers) also bought from Wall Mart on the hook.

Spent 3 very enjoyable hours realling quiet sizeable 3-4lb wide mouthed bass and returning them to fight another day.One of my other purchases was on the advice of the wall mart guy who stated I should by some "jellies". These are like our own rubber artificial baits only they are in the shape of a lizard. I attached one on and jerked it back in as instructed. First 6 or so casts went without so much as a knock but the next one, well lets just say it was the hardest hit of a lure I have ever had, and the reel start to scream. Unfortunately the reel was cheap, small and quickly running out of line so i lifted my rod higher to put some pressure on the fish then.......SNAP not the line but my cheapo rod! This was followed by the crack of the line!

Anyway lesson learnt, there are some monster fish in that lake and I will be back next year with my trustee penn four piece boat rod and abu multiplier!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have two a 20-30lb powerstix and a 30-50lb Waveblaster. Bargain at Jerrysfishing at £40 and £80 respectively. I have a 6-12lb telescopic but I fear that would go the same way as cheap US rod if I got into another big fish! So next time I am planning on using the powerstix as I think the Waveblaster may be overdoing it for freshwater fish!

Regards

Andy

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
handy to know as im going to orlando in jan so atleast i know i can fish somewere

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
handy to know as im going to orlando in jan so atleast i know i can fish somewere
You'll have no problems mate. Florida is the self styled "fishing capital of the world". For freshwater there are loads of lakes and the guys at Wall Mart are knowledgable and you can even get your livebait there!

On the counter near the bait fridges in a couple of the Wall Marts we went into, there was a free pamphlet/booklet available giving advice on where to fish, how to fish, baits, size limits and details about getting a tourist fishing licence etc. The wall mart shops both had fishing sections the size of most large UK tackle shops!

Don't forget if you like your Rapalas or Storm Chug bugs or various other lures, you can pick them up for a fraction of UK price!

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
cheers for the info fellas

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Colin
Another place to pick up tackle bargains is the BassPro store on International Drive. Be prepared for a different type of store though, it's HUGE and complete with a 17K gallon aquarium. You can pick up directions of the Orlando store from their home page - http://www.basspro.com/.
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts