World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any success float fishing for flounder?

I've seen a person doing it before, but from 100 yards away or so and was successfully catching quite a few.

Can't find much on the internet apart from one guy using freshwater floats in an estuary. Caught quite a few so the guide shows. Surely the guy in the guide isn't the only one doing this and having success with same or different tactics.
https://www.planetseafishing.com/greatham-creek-flounder-tactics-and-tricks/

Wanting to know any setups and tips that would give me a starting point to experiment with? hook just above the bottom? Extending the depth to drag a foot or more of the snood across the bottom?

Cheers.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Much depends on where you are fishing from , a boat or pier gives some degree of control over the float while off the beach you have little or no control.

Pier or boat you can hold back a rig that is just off the bottom to get the spoon working .

If the ground is not too gnarly you can drag a lot more than a foot of snood on the bottom , on a rising tide you would have to adjust your depth every cast .
In my experience better to have the lead and spoon if using one well on the bottom (6ft overdepth) kicking up mud even if the float is only half cocked.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that. I'm thinking about it on the beach or estuary when it is dead just to cover a little more ground.

What sort of floats (cigar / waggler etc) would you recommend or would it just entirely depend on location etc?

I take it you have caught a few using floats with spoons attached?

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
The floats do not have to be anything special (or expensive ;)) a cigar type that will easily handle 1oz plus bling and a bit of drag on the bottom.
Drennan pikers are good but i cry when i lose them so cheapo polystyrene is my main choice.

1.5-2.0 inch chrome plated metal flounder spoon have always done best for me , pigs to cast but catch fish unlike white plastic ones which are a pig to cast and don't.

A good idea is to put a strong mono eye on the bottom of the float which you can attatch to a snap link on the mainline. This allows you to change back to a ledger rig in seconds.

I have never used float rigs for flounder off the open beach , always river, estuary and harbour on the mud.

Open beaches i just use a light plain lead that will drag in the tide plus bling of the day be it beads or a spoon.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Used to catch loads off of my boat in Portsmouth Harbour before they were wiped out using a 9' spinning rod, sliding cigar float and an ABU Rauto spoon used to let it move off in the tide behind the boat then retrieve slowly once it got about 50 yards away always caught plenty this way and was great watching them follow all the way up to the surface some times.
And as Sniggle says from open beaches a small ball or watch lead to let the trace travel in the tide flow or twitch it every few minutes to impart some movement if there is no tide.
Pete

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Used to catch loads off of my boat in Portsmouth Harbour before they were wiped out using a 9' spinning rod, sliding cigar float and an ABU Rauto spoon used to let it move off in the tide behind the boat then retrieve slowly once it got about 50 yards away always caught plenty this way and was great watching them follow all the way up to the surface some times.
Pete
Much of my dingy float floundering was done in Pompey harbour , nothing to catch a dozen each in those days trotting a float into a creek as it was flooding.
Happy days !:)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The floats do not have to be anything special (or expensive ;)) a cigar type that will easily handle 1oz plus bling and a bit of drag on the bottom.
Drennan pikers are good but i cry when i lose them so cheapo polystyrene is my main choice.

1.5-2.0 inch chrome plated metal flounder spoon have always done best for me , pigs to cast but catch fish unlike white plastic ones which are a pig to cast and don't.

A good idea is to put a strong mono eye on the bottom of the float which you can attatch to a snap link on the mainline. This allows you to change back to a ledger rig in seconds.

I have never used float rigs for flounder off the open beach , always river, estuary and harbour on the mud.

Open beaches i just use a light plain lead that will drag in the tide plus bling of the day be it beads or a spoon.
Something like this? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick :p

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I had a little success last year with a large bubble float made from a squeezy jiff lemon container. Filled it about have full of wax to give it some weight and then epoxied a snap swivel into the neck..

I had about 4 feet of snood below the float and used a flounder spoon baited with a rag...

I trotted this upstream of me as the tide flooded in on a local river...I got a couple of flounders but lost the set up in a snag so didn't get to give it a good go. Next time I will put the float on the main line so if my snood snaps off I only loose the spoon...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Much of my dingy float floundering was done in Pompey harbour , nothing to catch a dozen each in those days trotting a float into a creek as it was flooding.
Happy days !:)
Yes Happy days indeed and some monster Silver Eels as well now long gone.
Pete

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Loop in the float is right , on your mainline you have a snaplink line through the swivel as if you were attaching a ledger with a small bead and sliding stopknot above.

My rig from the bottom up,

Hook ..,.snood .,.,..swivel .......spoon ....,..swivel......bead ...,...bullet or barrel lead..........free running snaplink to clip to float .........small bead ........mono or powergum sliding stopknot.

Hope that clarifies ! :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Something like this? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick :p
I used to pass the line through the float with a small bead on top of it with a stop knot then a small barrel lead below the float with a swivel tied to the mainline below the lead with the trace with the spoon attached to the swivel.
Pete

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Loop in the float is right , on your mainline you have a snaplink line through the swivel as if you were attaching a ledger with a small bead and sliding stopknot above.

My rig from the bottom up,

Hook ..,.snood .,.,..swivel .......spoon ....,..swivel......bead ...,...bullet or barrel lead..........free running snaplink to clip to float .........small bead ........mono or powergum sliding stopknot.

Hope that clarifies ! :)
Thanks for that, I know now exactly and will have to give this setup a go.
One other thing, how are you attaching a loop to a float like that? Running heavy mono through the inside of the float, keeping a loop on the bottom and with a bead and knot on top to secure it?

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Thanks for that, I know now exactly and will have to give this setup a go.
One other thing, how are you attaching a loop to a float like that? Running heavy mono through the inside of the float, keeping a loop on the bottom and with a bead and knot on top to secure it?
Yep , you've got it.
I also put a small bead at the bottom of the float if the centre tube is big to stop the loop pulling out in the tackle box.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts